Somebody gotta help me

I have a wide ladder to the nest and it's very big but heavy and screwed to the henhouse so moving it isn't possible. I had assumed that as they hatch I'll move them under a heat lamp where I usually keep new chicks.
I suggest to read more about broodies, hatching and what chicks need. Chicks with a broody don’t need extra heat.

Mark the eggs she is sitting on. Make sure the other hens don’t lay in the nest or take the unmarked eggs out.

Put feed and water outside. If the hen goes out to eat and drink she will stretch her legs and takes a dustbath if she needs one. 30 minutes is normal to go off the nest. 1 hour is probably too long.

I would relocate her and the nest lower - you will need to do so when they hatch anyway.
If you do this. There is a possibility she leaves the nest. Better wait till after the chicks hatched.

Is there a possibility the eggs started to develop on different days? If so you might get a staggered hatch. Its better to remove eggs that started more than 2 days later.

If you have a good torch you can see how well they have developed when she sits about a week. Toss the ones that haven’t developed. Or are way behind.
Look for embryo photos to get an idea.

I have a wide ladder to the nest and it's very big but heavy and screwed to the henhouse so moving it isn't possible. I had assumed that as they hatch I'll move them under a heat lamp where I usually keep new chicks.
I had broodies in a nestbox with extra space in front and a ramp. In the extra space was a small bowl with wet chick feed and one with water and pebbles on an old bath towel. This was nice for the first days.
After a couple of days they will all go outside to explore. It’s tricky but if the ramp is wide, not slippery and not steep at all, it can work. It did for me.
IMG_1472D.jpeg

Can you post a few pictures? Then I or someone else can see if it can work.

If its okay this is what you can expect:
The chicks and broody stay upstairs the first 2-3 days. Then the broody takes the chicks out to search for other food than chick feed outside the nest area and leaves the unhatched eggs behind. The remanning eggs get cold and unhatched chicks probably will die.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom