Somebody gotta help me

perrypogue

Songster
8 Years
Jun 17, 2015
Haskell TX
My situation is that I have a hen that's apparently trying to sit about a dozen eggs. This is new for me. What concerns me is that she's in a large nesting box about 5' off the ground. I don't think she's left these eggs for 3 days now. Doesn't she need feed and water?

Can she get in and out of the nest just fine? In any case, I would relocate her and the nest lower - you will need to do so when they hatch anyway. I had one like that and I got nervous so I took water and food to her.

Can she get in and out of the nest just fine? In any case, I would relocate her and the nest lower - you will need to do so when they hatch anyway. I had one like that and I got nervous so I took water and food to her.
I have a wide ladder to the nest and it's very big but heavy and screwed to the henhouse so moving it isn't possible. I had assumed that as they hatch I'll move them under a heat lamp where I usually keep new chicks.

I'm also curious as she is a Wyandotte and my only rooster is a game bird

I'm also curious as she is a Wyandotte and my only rooster is a game bird.
My most broody birds are my two Wyandottes. You don't HAVE to let her brood. I remove eggs under my broodies, and let them sit for however long they want (bc I have plenty of nest boxes). Others like to "break" their broodies. Kind of up to you what way you want to go with this.

I have a wide ladder to the nest and it's very big but heavy and screwed to the henhouse so moving it isn't possible. I had assumed that as they hatch I'll move them under a heat lamp where I usually keep new chicks.
Once they're hatched, move mama and babies down to the floor. She'll stay with them when she realizes they can't get up.

Back
Top Bottom