Somebody help me please... What do you think? Pls Help

Chiker

Songster
Apr 30, 2020
Hi I have a cockerel who has been raised in a flock of hens it lives with its mum and is now taking leadership within the flock and has started to attack another hen the same colour but not breed in the flock it attacked her so much that it plucked a big group of feathers from her neck and she started to bleed got her out and left her on her own for a while and cleaned her wound, but now I have put her back and the cockerel is attacking her I have taken him out but what do I do please help me…

So first off, are you certain the hen in question is a hen? I'm just asking since if it is young it could still be a cockerel and that is very normal cockerel behavior.

If it is a hen, is it the dominant hen? Generally a dominant hen pre-cockerel will not fight at all with a cockerel once introduced.

If the answer to both of the above is "no", and you truly have a cockerel attacking a hen and not trying to mount it- that would be enough for me to determine that is not the right cockerel for my flock- and he would be removed.

but he attacks her for no reason? wont he kill her after a while when he draws blood again?

it is a hen 2 years old

If you are sure he's not trying to mount her, then he's mean. Cockerels protect hens, not attack them. If you put another cockerel in there you will have a full on battle.

There's a lot of other factors that can go into this like not enough space for the birds, etc. I'm just hitting on the high notes.

hmmm sounds like i have a big issue

Chickens are just like dogs or people- some are great, some are terrible. Sadly with chickens, unlike dogs or people- you really can't correct their behaviors. That's why you hear a lot of reference to the "stew pot" for bad cockerels.

Can you just separate the the cockerel inside a dog crate or pen with his own food and water for awhile? It sounds like he is starting to exhibit mating behavior, and they will pull out neck feathers when they grab the hens. The partly blind hen may be a little helpless, and young cockerels will prey on the weaker ones. Let him mature a bit, let your hen heal, and then let him have some visits with the hens. Hopefully, he will stop attacking her, but you will have to spend time observing their behavior.

Back
Top Bottom