Somebody is going to be sorry for my loss **GRAPHIC PIC!!!**

Crop was broken into but likely empty by time bird taken (2 to 3 AM). Bird still a little warm when picked up. Either predator was small / juvenile not motivated to cleanup. Closer inspection of victum does not support barred or great horned owl. No talon marks. Latter would have been able to carry pullet away. Pullet killed by bite(s) to neck but vertebrate are intact. Perp consumed feathers as well. I am think an oppossum will be captured tonight. If so a trap will not be needed since even adults easy to catch by hand.

Quote:
If owl which doubting at this time, then different roosting arrangements will be made. No physical harm done. My flock not worht enough yet to acquire depredation permit. Both larger species present so not ruled out yet. They will be by later to be sure.

Predator ID determined. About dusk 15 min ago game stags started cackling. I walked down looking on ground for a half grown oppossum. No little ghost toddling around. Great horned owl at top of 30 foot oak flushed. I lost bet. Honeymoon at my little patch of heaven over in respect to predators. Great horned owls must grab large birds by neck when making initial contact. Would be good technique when going after something like adult wild turkey.

Quote:
Predator prevention is minimal. Major upgrades planned to include barn / coops with perimeter fencing and livestock guard dog. Land just purchased so working out kinks dealing with local wildlife. Short-term will have a hot wire perimeter for smaller four legged critters. Hawks thus far not been a problem with birds centered on coops in photograph. Owls, great horned and barred, both have territories over my land. They hoot a lot but as of yet they have not been hunting arounding my poultry. I suspect they will stop by after killing frost. They are easiest to contend with by simply penning birds up at night. Coons and foxes have nack for either getting into cage or pulling birds through wire. Hopefully perimeter hot wire will slow them up. Getting pup around Christmas so not affective dog until this time next year. May borrow one of brothers black and tans to visit with coons and oppossums.

You know the predator that attacked and killed your chicken was only doing what comes natural. Whether it be owl, fox, possum, raccoon, dog, cat, hawk, mink, or whatever.

Predator protection is from day one and everyday after that, never can you take it easy.

Unpopular it may be, I have to say that for all intensive purposes you staked your chickens out like sacrificial goats, minimal protection, minimal prevention. And now you want to declare war on the perpetrator. If you have been pro-active in your protection/prevention you would not have to be reactive now. The hen would still be alive, the "Somebody" would not have to be sorry.

twentynine,

Take time to read my other threads. You will see I am not an advocate of killing wildlife.

Integrated pest management is being employed. Only one bird lost with rapid detection of loss and ID of pest. Vulnerable stock moved into garage and heavier coops immediately after previous post. Modifications to coops being made rapidly. System will be tweeked so some birds (games) will not require intensive containment measures. Losses will continued to be be incurred but should be reduced, although never to zero as changes are made.

Contrast my pattern of loss to those reported on other threads. Overstating problem yes, over reaction no. Great horned owl will likely persist without my taking action against its life. Losses to owl will be kept minimum.

Quote:
I seriously doubt if you'll have any success with this. The animal will smell you way before you have any idea of it's presence.

Already busted perp. Great horned owl. Sense of smell may not be relavent for animal high in tree. It actually approached while I sat in lawn chair in plain sight working on computer. Some predators are simply bold and wind direction can be a factor.

Quote:
No.

Rounded up all birds roosting on coops and either placed them into coops, on front porch or saw horse in garage. Owl was working around coops all night but did not try to actually get birds from cages. We have a pretty good rabbit and vole population providing owls usual fare which may kept him in area. I am certain he could hear chickens in coop as well. Brother says a great horned will experiment around and figure out how to flush birds to side of cage before reaching through to pull them out. From what I have seen, it is pretty easy to do. Tonight line of sight will be broken using tarps. Owl will then only be able to see birds if he is at ground level. Other birds will continue to be placed closer to protection of house until heavy duty coops constructed.

We have two Great Pyrenees dogs. We live on 160 acres, loaded with bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, possums, skunks, etc. Our dogs were raised around goats, and I wasn't sure if they would kill chickens. I was worried they would because I have seen them chase off crows, vultures, eagles and hawks.

I have kept my chickens penned up because of that....until recently. I had a bunch of extra roosters that I decided to turn loose. Our dogs don't bother the roosters at all! I am guessing that since the chickens were locked up for so long, and the dogs have seen us caring for them, they figured out that these were to be guarded as well as everything else on the farm.

Since we have had these two, we have not had one animal loss due to predation. If you have the room for them I HIGHLY recommend them!

P.S.-Sometimes adult livestock guardian dogs can be found. We have obtained ours as adults, and they went to work almost immediately-as soon as they figured out where they were supposed to be and what was around them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom