Somebody is going to be sorry for my loss **GRAPHIC PIC!!!**

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
About five this morning I went to care for chickens when I noticed roosters not crowing as usual. Getting in closer birds that roost on pens were on ground moving about in relative darkness. No feather piles were evident. Head count indicated one short.

I found a single dead pullet, American Dominique (Privett Strain). She was not dismembered.

41527_picture_428.jpg

Upon closer inspection the skin and fat around neck was removed.
41527_picture_429.jpg

Birds were roosting on blue tarps of this temporary setup. Ten American dominiques and three American games. Quality birds housed in pens. This group of pens bunched to limit effects of wind.

41527_picture_380.jpg

I have been very lucky up till now with minimal losses. Mowing walking trails around pasture and woods may have enabled eaisier access for predator(s). Tonight I will use carcass as bait in live-trap. Will also sleep in hamock about 100 feet away. The perp will be apprehended and sentenced quickly. I am having some fun trying to stop the loss!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the work of a Owl. Can a Owl fly into their area? They usually show up dusk or very Predawn.

Quote:
Predator prevention is minimal. Major upgrades planned to include barn / coops with perimeter fencing and livestock guard dog. Land just purchased so working out kinks dealing with local wildlife. Short-term will have a hot wire perimeter for smaller four legged critters. Hawks thus far not been a problem with birds centered on coops in photograph. Owls, great horned and barred, both have territories over my land. They hoot a lot but as of yet they have not been hunting arounding my poultry. I suspect they will stop by after killing frost. They are easiest to contend with by simply penning birds up at night. Coons and foxes have nack for either getting into cage or pulling birds through wire. Hopefully perimeter hot wire will slow them up. Getting pup around Christmas so not affective dog until this time next year. May borrow one of brothers black and tans to visit with coons and oppossums.

Good luck in taking care of the predator. If it does turn out to be an owl, you may want to hold off on that sentencing due to the fact that predatory birds are protected. It may be more wise to just put the birds up at night in a secure coop. If they are allowed to roost out in the open like that at such a low height they are sitting ducks for any predator that attacks from the ground or air.

Good luck to you...let us know what the culprit was if you ever find out.

Quote:
I agree, it was probably a raccoon. Was the crop taken? Sorry about your loss. Good luck with boosting your security. Can you get electricity to the pens and put up an electric wire?

Back
Top Bottom