Somebody is going to be sorry for my loss **GRAPHIC PIC!!!**

I do plan on two livestock guarding dogs. Breed to be used up in air and and pups will be acquired at one, possibly two year interval. Pup will be reared in pen with adult low value birds. Cost is an issue, not just for pups but also for feed. I do not think a larger breed will be needed. I am into training so something like a katahula or border collie might fit bill. Want some white on it to make visible across field at night.

Unless you are Cesar Millan, you may want to rethink the Catahula as a guard dog for your birds. I have two and they are one of my favorite breeds but they have an incredibly high prey drive. They would be great protecting them as long as your birds are kept in a very secure coop and run but if you put them in the pen with them, you are going to lose a lot of those "low value" birds before you train it.

I have read several of your responses to past threads and you keep mentioning "low value" birds and you seem to feel no responsibility in protecting them. You have even mentioned using them as bait to bring predators in to test your theorys and or methods of deturing predators. I do realize that some birds do have great monitary value and some do not, but if you decide to raise any kind of animals, you take on the responsibilities of giving them safe housing, food and water and any medical needs they may have. I find your attitude of low value animals and your willingness to treat them as test subjects or throw aways quite disturbing. If you consider them not to be worth protecting, please consider butchering them for the table or giving them to a responsible farmer or hobbiest......just my two cents, for what its worth.

To clarify, I will be keeping my production flock in a free range setting. A small number of meat / egg producers already doing so in my area. They had to develop their operations in stages. I am trying replicate without loosing large numbers of birds in process. Regardless, some will be lost, sometimes to weather, sometimes to disease. Food and water is provided to excess. Medical - no, culling immmediate and when possible done in manner that benefits balance of flock.

The purpose of business pertaining to predators is long-term protection of flock. Not wanton sacrificing of birds. Method I will be using to keep harm from coming to birds by dog intended to serve as guard involves start of imprinting pup at very young age (~ 8 weeks) during the same time frame it will imprinted on humans, if not already done so. Training dogs not to do harm is be more difficult and potentially more risky for birds. I went that route several years ago with a black and tan that worked great and resulted in a dog with more flexible behavoir beyond guarding poultry. Required more time than I have now nless your professional trainer can help me out. Catahulas have reputation for being smart. I reason smarts will enable dog to get around fences and buildings in pursuit of unwanted guest. Some breeds / individuals not well suited for latter. If you suggest catahulas are not up to task, then I will consider dropping that option.

I do enjoy watching my fowl and the wildlife. Observing latter not just for pleasure, but also, understanding how they go about their business and potentially to gain insight in how to protect my stock and wildlife at same time.

Last edited:
Something interesting going on with great horned owl(s) outside. I can hear chick owls making the highly unpleasant "rech" sound they make. Are they still being fed by adults?

Back
Top Bottom