*GRAPHIC* Chicken dead, eggs smashed, dead birds... Halloween mystery?

SunriseChickers

Feather Fluffer
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 12, 2018
Ohio
Saturday morning I found my 3/yo WPR Salena in the corner of the coop with her neck ripped out. There was blood smeared on the walls and in splotches and puddles around her. We buried her under a tree at the bottom of a hill next to where we buried our only other chicken that had ever died, Tempest. Both chickens were at the top of the pecking order for extended periods of time.
Sunday morning my dad informed me that at about 2:30 that morning, he had gone out to investigate some commotion in the pen. Relvet, my year old Buckeye hen, was growling at something in the coop. My dad said that he kept hearing scratching noises in the coop, but didn't see anything. He did notice that the eggs in the brooder boxes were smashed. I checked out the coop myself, and found a dead sparrow just inside the door. Sparrows get in there all the time to eat the feed(a problem which I remedied today by screwing a rubber sheet to the inside of the chicken door that they can push through.). This was strange though, the little wild bird had no marks on it. It was on the ground on its stomach, looking almost as if it had died there in peace, or it had died in mid-air and fallen.
Sunday evening I found and filled four gaps under the fence with packed down fist-sized rocks. One of the gaps was big enough for a mink, I believe.
Sunday night I set two live traps in the coop, baited with eggs. Only one of my girls was in the coop, one was behind some boards next to the fence, three were perched on the pen gate, two had escaped and come all the way up to the house to perch on the back porch. I moved the two in the pen to the porch, where they stayed.
This morning I hadn't caught anything in the traps, so I'm going to reset them in different places and bait them with some hopefully more attractive bait.
I'm unsure as to what killed Salena, but I'm hoping to catch it.
I'm going to attach a picture of her wound, but they are very graphic and bloody, so beware. If anyone has any ideas on what may have killed her, I'd love to know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_093439457.jpg
    IMG_20211030_093439457.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 72
Do you have possums where you live?
From what I have seen here in Louisiana, I would think a raccoon or possum. Good luck with trapping the critter, it will be back for another meal.

We do have possums here. I did have a baby possum in the old coop that was eating the eggs and disturbing the birds, but never did any real damage.
We still haven't caught anything.

You need to upgrade your coop and make it secure.
The only opening in the coop is a chicken-sized door for them to come and go from that's basically just a hole in the wall... So yeah, it needs more security. At the least, the door has a rubber sheet hanging in three strips to keep it slightly more insulated and keep the cold out. We've completely blocked up the door with wood the past two nights.
I'd like it to have a real closing door, but the problem is that I can't get out early enough to release them before they're getting pretty fed up with me, and when I go out to close them up it's either too early or too late and usually one or two decide to stay out. They have a 30x40 pen with a tree they can roost in and aviary net over the whole thing. A weasel or mink could certainly get through the fencing, and I'd bet a determined possum or racoon could climb the gate. I'd like hardware cloth at least partially up the sides, but I do not have the money to do so.
If anyone has some ideas that don't present similar problems, I'd really love to hear them. I am at a loss for what to do that will be secure, inexpensive, and also not terribly inconvenient.

I'm thinking maybe a cat did this.
Really? What makes you think so? We've got cats around but never had a problem with them. Usually they'll kill off the whole flock for sport from what I understand.

We do have possums here. I did have a baby possum in the old coop that was eating the eggs and disturbing the birds, but never did any real damage.
We still haven't caught anything.

The only opening in the coop is a chicken-sized door for them to come and go from that's basically just a hole in the wall... So yeah, it needs more security. At the least, the door has a rubber sheet hanging in three strips to keep it slightly more insulated and keep the cold out. We've completely blocked up the door with wood the past two nights.
I'd like it to have a real closing door, but the problem is that I can't get out early enough to release them before they're getting pretty fed up with me, and when I go out to close them up it's either too early or too late and usually one or two decide to stay out. They have a 30x40 pen with a tree they can roost in and aviary net over the whole thing. A weasel or mink could certainly get through the fencing, and I'd bet a determined possum or racoon could climb the gate. I'd like hardware cloth at least partially up the sides, but I do not have the money to do so.
If anyone has some ideas that don't present similar problems, I'd really love to hear them. I am at a loss for what to do that will be secure, inexpensive, and also not terribly inconvenient.

Really? What makes you think so? We've got cats around but never had a problem with them. Usually they'll kill off the whole flock for sport from what I understand.
My Mom's first OEGB hen got eaten early last spring, by a cat. Her wings, & feet were left behind. There were cat tracks in the snow around the coop.

Cats kill by going for the throat. Not all will kill for sport.

My Mom's first OEGB hen got eaten early last spring, by a cat. Her wings, & feet were left behind. There were cat tracks in the snow around the coop.

Cats kill by going for the throat. Not all will kill for sport.
Fortunately most cats aren't motivated to kill anything big as a chicken.They prefer small game. Barn cats raised around chickens actually bond with them and protect them.Small predators such as weasels are less inclined to come around if you have barn cats

Fortunately most cats aren't motivated to kill anything big as a chicken.They prefer small game. Barn cats raised around chickens actually bond with them and protect them.Small predators such as weasels are less inclined to come around if you have barn cats
It was a big orange longhaired tabby that's been living under our shed. An Old English Game Bantam is tiny.

All the cats in the area are strays, or feral. None are ours.

It was a big orange longhaired tabby that's been living under our shed. An Old English Game Bantam is tiny.

All the cats in the area are strays, or feral. None are ours.
For their own protection my chickens and cats have separate enclosed runs. My cats have runs and catios outdoors but live indoors 24/7 so they can't harm anything.Sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom