Predator i.d. help

Silent_Cal

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
This morning when checking on my chickens I found one dead in the coop. Initially I was worried she had keeled over from some undetected sickness but after I got gloves on to remove the body I saw that something had eaten into her intestines and that her beak and been mostly destroyed. In my haste to remove the body, which had already gone stiff, and get to work I didn't thoroughly inspect for other wounds. My run is fenced in and has a net over the top, with not much more than a 2 inch gap. Also, several eggs i had failed to collect were eaten.

The coop is raised 3 feet off the ground and then the roosting board is a father 3 feet up. I'm located in suburban middle Tennessee, what kind of predator could be responsible? And then further what's the best method for preventing it from happening again besides waiting outside the coop with a shovel. I should also add that i've had just about two years now with no sign of any other incursion or attempted predation.

Last edited:
The coop should be secured at night after chickens has gone in to roost.
no gaps or cracks over 1/4 inch.
Night time is the most critical time for secure practices as chickens are totally vunerable in the darkness.
A weasel can squeeze through the same spaces a mouse can and will kill everything it can by morning.
The fact that you have not lost any until now is common.
Once a preditor has discovered the gaps and inadequaticies in your security system, they will take advantage of it.
Then another preditor type will come along and show you another weakness you had not thought of.
This process over 50 years has lead me to the fort Knox coop I have today.
1/4 inch hardware cloth will be your chickens best friend.
The correct application of it will protect your birds except in cases of bear.
Sorry for the loss of your bird!

Back
Top Bottom