Someone answer again- chick with bump on head- need more thoughts

I have a 2 week old Americuana chick that also got pecked on the head I'm assuming since birth (I only recently concluded that) the lump on the head had been looking better then got worse so I think the other chicks were pecking on it, so I now isolated "baldy" in an area with the others but they can't touch it an (old fish tank with heat lamp). Used neosporin and peroxide. It is also physically smaller than the others and has not developed at the same rate but does seem to eat and drink normally.
Very similar to your description. Keep us posted on the progress of your chick. I hope for the best.

12091_chick_mar2709a.jpg

Peroxide is great for cleaning up blood and helps disinfect the surface of things, but not so nice for the healthy tissue underneath. Not for deep wounds- ie full skin thickness. Not for delicate tissues- noses/eyes/ears ect. It oxidizes things- breaks molecular bonds. Ever wonder why the surface skin on your fingers turns white when you get peroxide on it? It has been oxidized and is now dead...
Dilute betadine/iodine solution is better for deeper wounds. If the wound is very deep or the area is in or around delicate tissue- saline is best.

Peroxide and Betadine both damage the living cells they touch, but they also disinfect, and peroxide can "boil" pus out of a wound. Sometimes peroxide/betadine are good choices if the area needs the disinfection. Not usually indicated after initial treatment of a new wound. It's just a matter of understanding what they do.

This is a nurse talking about people, so take it FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom