Someone elses problem?

harveyhorses

Songster
11 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Powhatan Va
I have 5 Buff Orp girls that are the light of my life (well close to it) I just saw on freecycle a Plymoth Rock that has been eating other chickens eggs, needs to be re-homed. She is 1 1/2 yrs old, mine are 14 months.
Would I just be taking on someone elses problem or would being the new girl on the block take cre of that? Would it stress my girls out to introduce a new hen? Mine are layers/pets, and I really would not do anything to upset them, too much. I mean today they didn't even get free range time, and they were pretty upset about THAT. (I had to have my brother at the hospital at 8 am for a biopsy and them come to work)
They are in a converted dog run, 10 x 20, with a good size coop, so I don't think they would be too crowded. I am waiting to hear from the woman, if the hen has been handled much, mine are pets/pests/ lap chickens. Maybe it has been taken already.
Where is the smiley with the HELP sign???
hmm.png

Don't take it. Egg-eating is about the hardest problem to handle, and it's taught oh so quickly.

We have a hen that eats eggs if we don't get them out of the nest fast enough. It's a very difficult habit to break, and I'd say you're better off not taking the hen as I doubt relocating her would solve the problem.

I think this is the first time I've seen eveyone NOT enabling!! I lurk a lot:rolleyes:
I will let this one go. Thanks everyone!!

I have a horrible feeling the 'Five hens is plenty' rule might have to be amended.
No, I DO NOT NEED MORE. (but but but...) My sister made the mistake of saying how handsome some Barred Rocks were...

Back
Top Bottom