1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone elses problem?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by harveyhorses, May 25, 2011.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I have 5 Buff Orp girls that are the light of my life (well close to it) I just saw on freecycle a Plymoth Rock that has been eating other chickens eggs, needs to be re-homed. She is 1 1/2 yrs old, mine are 14 months.
    Would I just be taking on someone elses problem or would being the new girl on the block take cre of that? Would it stress my girls out to introduce a new hen? Mine are layers/pets, and I really would not do anything to upset them, too much. I mean today they didn't even get free range time, and they were pretty upset about THAT. (I had to have my brother at the hospital at 8 am for a biopsy and them come to work)
    They are in a converted dog run, 10 x 20, with a good size coop, so I don't think they would be too crowded. I am waiting to hear from the woman, if the hen has been handled much, mine are pets/pests/ lap chickens. Maybe it has been taken already.
    Where is the smiley with the HELP sign??? [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You would be taking on someone else's problem. That hen would probably teach yours to eat eggs. I would leave that hen alone.

3. harveyhorses

Jan 16, 2010
    That is what I needed to hear! thanks. (I always think I can fix other peoples failed animal projects)

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Don't take it. Egg-eating is about the hardest problem to handle, and it's taught oh so quickly.

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    We have a hen that eats eggs if we don't get them out of the nest fast enough. It's a very difficult habit to break, and I'd say you're better off not taking the hen as I doubt relocating her would solve the problem.

6. harveyhorses

Jan 16, 2010
    I think this is the first time I've seen eveyone NOT enabling!! I lurk a lot:rolleyes:
    I will let this one go. Thanks everyone!!

I have a horrible feeling the 'Five hens is plenty' rule might have to be amended.
    No, I DO NOT NEED MORE. (but but but...) My sister made the mistake of saying how handsome some Barred Rocks were...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by