someone gave me a freshly killed chicken..

Yuck. Why would they offer you a chicken with a stench in the first place? Why didn't they keep it for themselves if it was alright? I'll never figure some people out.

well, i didnt smell a thing until we cut the head off..i mean, i thought it was freshly killed and everything..but then it didnt bleed at all, and then my son kept insisting it smelled...oh it was so gross!
then they acted insulted that i didnt keep it.
i didnt find out about the being in an ice chest for hours until i said something about the smell.
roll.png
roll.png

A chicken won't bleed out when they are dead. Only a live fresh kill bleeds out. It is over quickly.

Chickens also do have a yuck stench when you are processing them.

this was really bad though..and then after talking to them..i realized that the time they said it had been dead was most likely when they found it, so no telling how long it was really dead. (if you cant tell, ive never butchered a chicken before!)
do they usually smell really bad when they are freshly killed, or is it like a raw meat smell? that will be very useful to know.

ok, so then its not rotting death roadkill stench? i can handle anything else!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

i wonder though, what my neighbors must have thought as i was standing in my backyard holding this headless chicken upside down, sniffing around it trying to see what my son was talking about!
i shouldve just taken his word for it.

Quote:
The inside of a chicken has a very distinctive, to me rather strong and moderately unpleasant, smell. NOT a poo smell, just a, er, inside-of-chicken smell.

I was fascinated (and then retrospectively quite disgusted, thinking about what it sez about all the supermarket chickens I've eaten over the years) to discover when I butchered my first chicken that the meat itself, once the carcass is cleaned, does not smell AT ALL. (To my nose anyhow). Unlike the distinctive "raw chicken meat" smell that you always get once you open the plastic-wrapped store package. Honestly, I could wave a piece of home-butchered raw chicken under your nose and you'd probably not know anything was there at all, certainly not suspect poultry, whereas with the store-bought stuff any idiot would know at once. Interesting. (And also, you know, euuw if you think about it
tongue.png
)

Pat

Back
Top Bottom