1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone Help Please! Enlarged breast & Egg congestion!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sonicpanda123, Mar 31, 2009.

1. sonicpanda123

sonicpanda123 New Egg

Mar 21, 2009
    My brown leghorn stopped laying recently, I had no idea why. Today I looked at him and he seemed to have a massive breast growth. So I felt it and it seemed to feel like play-doh or clay. When I took my hand off the hand-sized lump, MY FINGER IMPRINTS WERE MOLDED INTO IT. It was a giant lump of something clay-like. Does anyone know what the heck it is? Im really worried!

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Well, I hate to be the one to say it, but roosters don't lay eggs. So that could be the issue with the no-egg problem.

As for the front, that's called a crop. It holds the food so just before the gizzard. It's like it's own little "storage" unit. Once the food moves to the gizzard, it is ground up much like our mouth works.

3. acashewnut

acashewnut New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    Idaho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by