SOMEONE is killing my hens

Not if you use a bear-proof case & lock it up with a hefty chain. Plus these days you can also get one that sends the feed to your phone, so you still have the evidence. And yeah.. I agree that even though you've "solved" the problem, if this is a person doing this sort of thing it's going to continue and probably escalate. For the community's safety it would be best if the person (if indeed it was a person) were caught and dealt with appropriately though legal channels.

There's a thread about that. Someone's chickens started going missing, chicken keeper later dug 12ft holes around the coop. Went on a vacation, when they came back, found a note from the sheriff telling that he found a guy in one of them. Now doing time.

What a scary situation! I'd hate for my neighbors' to be the prime suspects of my animals' deaths! I would agree with the other posters though....best catch the culprit on tape so someone can be notified of the nasty behavior and the culprit receives consequences....don't have them get away with it and feel like that behavior is acceptable. To wring a trusting animal's neck while it happily sits in its house...awful!

Last edited:
What a scary situation! I'd hate for my neighbors' to be the prime suspects of my animals' deaths! I would agree with the other posters though....best catch the culprit on tape so someone can be notified of the nasty behavior and the culprit receives consequences....don't have them get away with it and feel like that behavior is acceptable. To wring a trusting animal's neck while it happily sits in its house...awful! 

x2. If said chickens were out of coop, I may see a hormonal teenager possibly harming them. But in the coop? That's a lot of effort just to get back at you for something they aren't even sure you did. I would send them a card telling them that you are sorry that they lost their dog, and maybe print out a few missing posters for them and hang them up. It's hard to lose a dog. But this does not in any way excuse this young man for his behavior. (This is assuming that teen is the culprit and not some sort of freak predator.) If this is the work of a human, it needs to be put to a stop. Whether by the police, or even higher authorities. Please don't hesitate to take the leap. It's worth it to keep you and your family safe. I'm frightened that in locking the coop you may have sparked new anger in the said perpetrator. Who knows, the next target may be your house. I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Stay safe!! :hugs

Regards,
Leaf

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
Just interested @am040608 if the padlock has still kept out the problem? I hope it has I loved how so many people came to the "aid". Before I found your thread I have been thinking of putting up a camera for my new coop and I just might. I really hope your problem was solved.

Just interested @am040608
 if the padlock has still kept out the problem? I hope it has I loved how so many people came to the "aid". Before I found your thread I have been thinking of putting up a camera for my new coop and I just might. I really hope your problem was solved. 

Yes it has. So far so good. No more chicken death.

am040608,

I'm trying to sort out the details and I'm a bit confused. Please keep in mind that I'm a male.
smile.png

Text below in red are quotes from your posts

Also our "neighbors" are a good distance away. There is a good bit of land between us.

Even my neighbors sheep are often found grazing in my yard or inspecting my front door

I don't understand how you don't have close neighbors BUT their live stock ends up on your property.

hen was just roosting on her egg

side by side roosting on eggs.

Hens roost on the end of a board, rod or tree limb. I don't understand why they would lay a egg up there and how they would get the egg to balance without falling off and breaking.

We have a baby monitor. Ill do that.

Since this post I've had 3 more chickens with broken necks.

What did you hear on the baby monitor when the 3 more chickens were killed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom