1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone keeps laying on the ground....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Knyfe, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Knyfe

Knyfe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    Hi,
    I have had an established flock for about a year now and everything has been swell except for the fact that I keep almost stepping on eggs on the ground.
    There is only one bird who lays in the middle of the pen and we can't figure out who or how to stop it. We have two designated laying spots, both of which are used by everyone else, except for the ground layer.
    Does anyone know how to stop a chicken from laying their eggs on the ground?

And some extra information if it would be useful:
    • Carrie (Silkie) is a new addition to the flock, having joined just a few months ago, but she is fitting in well. I have seen her brooding in a proper egg spot, so I doubt it was her.
    • Fighting is almost nonexistent except for the occasional peck. I doubt anyone is chasing a bird away from the egg spot, as the first is rarely occupied, and the second only has two brooding, both of whom allow five or six other chickens to cuddle with them when it gets cold.
    • If any egg eating has been going on, I am not aware of it. The eggs on the ground are cracked but proper weight and size (could they have rolled away somehow?). I believe there has been one instance of egg eating: Tinkie (Serama) was intensely broody and refused to go down to eat, and her eggs disappeared one by one--perhaps as a source of protein.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I have that same problem lately but have a theory that the egg is actually laid in the box but then knocked about by another layer.

I have 6 hens and 3 nest boxes, they only use two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by