Someone killed the first chick :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nubiansrus, May 14, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Ive had a hen really wanting to keep her eggs. We have lots of eggs from the other hens so I figured why not [so of course she started stealing the others eggs but thats fine lol] Anyways to the point. I let the hen sit on them watching her closely. She picked up a friend who sits on them when she is eating or anything. They had done a great job... the first baby hatched at some point recenly and someone killed it [​IMG] Does this happen alot? Do you have to incubate them yourself? I dont really need chicks enough to invest in an incubator but... thats really sad that someone is just gonna keep killing the chicks. Should I not let them hatch them. Advice needed. Havent even had hens more then like oh... 7 months, still learning.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't think this can really be predicted. It could be they knew something was wrong with the chick. Could have been an accident. Or it could be they will kill them all. Wish you luck, whatever you decide to do.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If the mother is not protecting them, the others(I guess) just see it as something small running across the yard/coop, and grab it. Remember they are birdbrained, so you need to make it so the little ones can not get out with bigger birds till they are somewhat more able to defend themselves.

4. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    My hen's first chick died just last night due to the same reason. I picked him up and tried to take care of him (he had a large bald and bloody spot on his head and swollen eyes). He seemed pretty strong otherwise, but he died. My dad and others on here have told me the chick probably had something wrong with him and the momma knew it. But keep an eye on your hen, as I believe this is her first experience with motherhood? She may see the chick as a threat to her eggs and attack it. Take her chicks away from her as soon as they hatch if she's hurting them in any way and put them in a brooder.

5. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    Havent been able to get on the last few days but wanted to give an update. She hatched out a chick two days after the last one. And it is alive and shes being a great mom to it. Must have been either something wrong with it or an accident like you guys said,.

6. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Not sure what to say, [​IMG] without just agreeing to the other posts.... I am still new to the chicken family. I do a lot of reading (as all of us do)[​IMG] But I am sorry......it must be frustrating! [​IMG]

7. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    We have two chicks now!!

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Congrats!! The culprit is probably another hen. They will pick on eachother's chicks big time. I usually keep an eye peeled on new chicks throughout the day. A couple quick pecks won't kill a chick but a constant attack will. Your hen was probably still on the nest with the other eggs when the defensless chick went to look for food. I would peek in throughout the day or separate them for a couple days. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by