Someone please help. Desperate for silkies!! UK

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsmartin24, Sep 24, 2014.

1. mrsmartin24

mrsmartin24 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    I have brought so many silkie hatching eggs and none seem to hatch. I can hatch every other breed. I'm desperate for some and can't afford to spend all that money again!

Does any one in England know any for sale at not ridiculous price :(

2. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Good luck! Hope you find some and have better luck next round [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How are you incubating your Silkie eggs? I find mine do much better if I dry hatch them. I try to keep the humidity somewhere around 30-45% (45% isn't ideal, but sometimes I just can't get it any lower) during the first 18 days, and then bump it to 60% at lock down. If I don't, they make it all the way to the end, pip internally and never go any further. So sad :( Not too mention that having them shipped in is pretty rough on them.
    If you were anywhere close to me, I'd give you some eggs or chicks, but we're pretty far apart. I hope you find some or at least have better luck with the whole hatching thing next time :hugs

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I hatch mine right along with the other breeds, nothing different, and I have a high hatch percentage---about every fertile one hatches.

5. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK

Where abouts are you in UK?
    I've hatched some( dry method)
    If your near by me I could hatch for you
    And you could collect chicks!

6. mrsmartin24

Sep 17, 2014
    I'm in hampshire. I have never dry hatched. Maybe this is were I am going wrong! I can even hatch ducks! Silkies just don't want to :(

7. mrsmartin24

Sep 17, 2014
    Omg I have just seen you are near bude! My grandparents live on widemouth bay! Shame it would probably be too far to travel with chicks. I'm in Hampshire

8. Violetsrblu

Violetsrblu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Lakeland, TN
    Definitely try to dry hatch. My experience may be proof that it's better for Silkie eggs. I decided to try an incubator for the first time recently and I put three Silkie eggs in it. I kept the humidity 25-40% till lockdown on day 17 & then increased it to 55-65%. All three chicks hatched and were robust.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you tried posting on the UK thread? If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum, you can locate UK thread and post on it. Maybe you will find someone near you with silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by