Someone please help I think she's gonna die?!?!?!?!

OwlLover

Alaskan Wanderer
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
I'll get some pix soon; my camera's not working and I'm still figuring out how to download pix onto the computer with my iPad. I was just handling my quail and I noticed one of them was leaking some sort of clear fluid. I checked her vent and I think I saw part of her intestine. She's not leaking blood, its a clear fluid of some sort. I got 2 eggs today and I have 3 quail; but I usually get 2 eggs a day anyway. But one of the eggs was cracked; does that have anything to do with it? I'm going to the vet soon anyway to check one of my hens for fowl pox, and I'll take her there if we must, but that's gonna happen on Monday and I don't think that she can wait that long!
Please help; I really don't want her to die!

Last edited:
It's hard with our feathered friends..but it's harder making recommendations on line...need a little more info from you.

Other than you just seeing clear fluid, when you put her down, does she appear ok? Doing what quail do? Eat, peck etc? you could have picked her up right after that little bitty bird laid an egg 1/4 of her size and you saw part of the egg factory...if that's the case you have nothing to worry about.

When an egg is deposited, part of the interior of the vent will follow the egg out and retract after the egg is laid, eggs are "lubricated" on the way out and sometimes a little leftover can be seen right after the egg was laid.

you also didn't say the age or the species...I'll assume a cot since you were able to hold it.

I really wish you and your little hen well.

Last edited:
I would've posted the breed but I honestly don't know since we bought her and her 2 buddies from a feed store when they were just barely a day old and everything, you name it, if its related to poultry it runs free there. But I'm pretty sure she's a button quail. I'm not sure if it was her who had the egg, but one of them was cracked. But when I got them the sun was still up and they were cold; I held her after the sun went down.

Actually I asked the feed store guy and it turns out that they're ferals. I'm going to check her and the other quails for it now.

I really don't know what to say, if the breed is a button quail, i'd keep her indoors and maybe consider taking her to a vet to check her over.

Im pretty sure its the egg cycle i know we are talking about quail here but my chooks do it all the time well after they have laid an egg anyway. But you should go to the vet just in case because it may be something serious.

GOOD LUCK
FROM MY BUTTON QUAIL FARM
AND MY CHICKENS

I found your first mistake...."Feed store guy". They usually know slightly more than a Wal-Mart door welcomer. Your best bet would be to take a picture and post it. JJ is one of the best sources for info on here.

Actually I asked the feed store guy and it turns out that they're ferals. I'm going to check her and the other quails for it now.

Back
Top Bottom