Someone please HELP!!!!!!!

I'm so very sorry to hear about your chicken. She looks like a beautiful girl. I know I'm getting in on this a little late in the game, but I was just wondering if it was at all possible that she could have gotten into something 'off', 'bad' or perhaps even poisonous? I know moldy feed will sometimes throw them off their game for a little bit. And you don't even have to necessarily 'see' the mold, if the spores are there in the food, it can make them quite sick. Just a thought...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your chicken.  She looks like a beautiful girl.  I know I'm getting in on this a little late in the game, but I was just wondering if it was at all possible that she could have gotten into something 'off', 'bad' or perhaps even poisonous?  I know moldy feed will sometimes throw them off their game for a little bit.  And you don't even have to necessarily 'see' the mold, if the spores are there in the food, it can make them quite sick.  Just a thought...

Thank you. It's possible. They do free range in my backyard, so anything is possible. My other two are not having any problems.....yet. I do have molasses.

Ok so last night before I went to bed I checked her crop. It was full, but I had given her food just a little time before. I checked it this morning and it's still rock hard. I gave her some olive oil to help it through and gave it a good massage. Also took her food away. I think she might have an impacted crop. Is there anything else I should do?

Try to get as much water with Corid into her as possible. With coccidiosis there can be slow moving crops. I would hold a little cup of water in front of her to drink as often as possible. You can just give her fluids today, and if the crop is softer tomorrow am, then give her much food, egg, and a bit of plain yogurt.

Try to get as much water with Corid into her as possible.  With coccidiosis there can be slow moving crops.  I would hold a little cup of water in front of her to drink as often as possible.  You can just give her fluids today, and if the crop is softer tomorrow am, then give her much food, egg, and a bit of plain yogurt.  

Ok that's good to know. She's acting the same if not worse. I'm trying to give her some save a chick electrolytes. I am getting to the point where I don't know what to do. I'm trying to find a vets number aroun here that works on chickens.

Sorry your girl is sick... Taking her to a vet is a good idea. In the meantime, keep her i a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal. Chance are she's dehydrated and need *lots* of fluids, way more than you can safely give with a syringe. If she were mine I would tube about 30ml of pedialyte (with Codid) to her every 4-6 hours. If you can't find a vet to see her, start thinking about finding a tube and syringe to tube her with. Some vets will sell red rubber catheter tubes, which would be best, but I have heard of people using aquarium air line and one person used the tube in their toilet tank.

Check out this link, the links in it and watch the videos.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

I guarantee you it's easier *and* safer than syringing or dripping fluids into their mouths. I'm available by phone to walk you through it, you just have to get the supplies. If you can find a vet to sell you a tube, I'd recommend a size 18 french.

-Kathy

PM'd you my number.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy.....I need to track down a tube and syringe. She is getting worse that's for sure so something needs to be done. I have called everywhere and nobody works on chickens. I know UC davis does but they are closed today and tomorrow. Even if I tube feed her some liquids is it still going to get pass the impaction?

Back
Top Bottom