Someone please HELP!!!!!!!

Pics
In theory, the dander from a neighbor could blow it into your yard. Mine came from my ignorance and bringing home "rescues" from the feed store.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I don't think the blue jays would have been the source. If it is Mareks, it was probably in the individual bird all along, or it was spread from another chicken. You can even visit another farm with Mareks & carry it back to your farm.

The vaccination given when they are chicks eliminates tumors & lessens the spread of Mareks but does not guarantee they will not get Mareks.

Ohhhh I see. I called the feed store that I bought them from to see if when they order the chicks if they pay at the time to have them vaccinated and they DON'T. It's 12cents more! They even told me how much it is. It could be another flock....I have heard the sounds of other chickens. If it is Merecks, I do believe she's had it all along. She's always been skinny.

Just to be clear, I have seen the digestive paralysis in my some of my Marek's birds, but I have not seen it improve.

-Kathy

Yes. I asked the vet about that. Why does it improve and then not improve. She said cuz its a slow processing disease. How long did your mereks chickens live when they started showing problems?

The ones with sciatic nerve involvement will sometimes improve over a two week period, but will relapse a few months later and then die within a couple of weeks. However, the ones with the funny eyes live for many months, sometimes years.

FWIW, the only time I have seen the digestive tract paralysis is in birds that also had the sciatic nerve involvement. Not saying that it's that the digestive tract paralysis doesn't occur on it's own, just that I haven't seen it.

-Kathy

The ones with sciatic nerve involvement will sometimes improve over a two week period, but will relapse a few months later and then die within a couple of weeks. However, the ones with the funny eyes live for many months, sometimes years.

FWIW, the only time I have seen the digestive tract paralysis is in birds that also had the sciatic nerve involvement. Not saying that it's that the digestive tract paralysis doesn't occur on it's own, just that I haven't seen it.

-Kathy

Ok, thanks Kathy. You have been such a help. She's walking just fine so far and eating. She weight 3.68 which was an improvement from 3.2. Somehow I have to figure out how to get a pill down her. They are mailing me the antibiotics so I probably won't get them until Monday.

Back
Top Bottom