Someone said button eggs can take as long as 20 days??? True/false??

jfulcher

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Tucson, AZ 85712
I wasn't sure if it is true or not. So I am posting.. Staggered hatch, openening bator minimally to turn newer eggs very quickly then shutting it. 10 seconds max. Hatch day was yesterday for 2, hatch day for 1 today, tomorrow is 1, and so on and so forth.. I HAVE STARTED STORING EGGS!!! So I will not be doing such staggered hatches... I have learned from this!!! But I live in AZ so idk if my eggs are safe from developing during storage... Anyways, just let me know about the hatching and what not..

It can. Esp if your bator swings lower. I had one that would dip to 95 - 99, but if I set at 100, it would swing to 105 (homemade with thermostat control). I had quail hatch 3-4 days late, but hatch fine repeatedly.

I'll clarify my comments made about hatching at 20 days. I had this happen several times last year. In a given batch of say 50-60 eggs, I had a hatch rate of about 50 to 60 percent -- these were eggs shipped during the hottest part of the summer, July and August, and all of the batches originated from the South (Florida, Texas, and Louisiana).

Out of the say 30 that would hatch, they would start late into the 16th day, most would be hatched by the end of the 17th day, I might get 2 or 3 each on days 18, 19, and 20.

The ones that hatched later were generally smaller, but overall I saw no real difference in survival or in terms of likelyhood to suffer deformities or develop splayed legs.

One interesting thing I did note -- the ones that hatched late overwhelmingly seemed to be yellow chicks that would later be white birds -- I noted this both in Coturnix and buttons.

I haven't had much luck with the 16 days. I waited until day 18 to make sure - crack one it was a yolk -- cracked another and it had a live baby -- it was sucking the sac in -- I wish I knew -- people say these are easy to hatch but I'm not having any luck.

CBBQ eggs should take 16-17 days to hatch but incubator mishaps can happen thus making the eggs hatch later. Always give eggs 2-3 days extra if you have the space to do so. If my eggs don't hatch on time they go, only because the delayed eggs usually are weaker babies hence weaker genes. Epigenes play a role and I stick to 16-17 days. I usually get hatches at 15-16 days. Another reason why I toss is because I sell high quality birds and eggs and wouldn't sell weak babies to someone.

They should take 15-17 days but I've had some go as long as 18-19 days in an LG. But normally it's incubator mishaps that cause them to go so long. After 20 days they won't hatch, so you can wait til then to toss them or 'be brave' and open them before.

Back
Top Bottom