someone splain me this

That temp shouldn't make incubation start. I set some eggs from my birds on the 27th. I always count the day set as 'day 1'. So far I have 7 hatched. Regardless of when day 1 actually started, they are still 2-3 days early. I know it's not the incubator because nothing else is hatching early. Coturnix take 16-18 days so I guess mine just didn't want to wait
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Forgot to mention ,I keep a quail carton setting on the table next to the bator,I get 10/12 eggs everyday,I put the eggs in the carton small side down to the air pocket will be up,they sit for 5/6 days in 70/75 degree temp before I start the incubation,,,could that temp have caused an early hatch?

I think you're pushing the envelope on keeping them ~75 degrees for 5 days. I now use a 48 qt. ice chest with a slanted rest on one end to stack my egg cartons, and put two frozen 2 liter bottles of water in there on the other end every day when holding eggs. Take 2 semi-melted ones out - put 2 frozen ones in. Takes about a minute, but keeps the temp around 55-60 degrees, and keeps it humid as well. I rotate the cartons (change tilt angle) of eggs every day as I add new ones. Everybody does thangs a lil' different......

Quote:
Now thats a good Idea...
thumbsup.gif
Bill

Won't hurt to give that a try next time,I have done a lot of research and spent hours on here reading others experiences and learning from them but I guess theirs always something new to learn,,thanks again guys
smile.png

Quote:
Now thats a good Idea...
thumbsup.gif
Bill

Won't hurt to give that a try next time,I have done a lot of research and spent hours on here reading others experiences and learning from them but I guess theirs always something new to learn,,thanks again guys
smile.png

Update on the early hatch,Had 28 quail to hatch from the 50 eggs set,all the chicks seem to be healthy and are eating and drinking,Running around like a bunch of roaches like they always do,The next hatch I am going to try the cooler idea with the same amount of eggs and see what happens

Quote:
smile.png

Update on the early hatch,Had 28 quail to hatch from the 50 eggs set,all the chicks seem to be healthy and are eating and drinking,Running around like a bunch of roaches like they always do,The next hatch I am going to try the cooler idea with the same amount of eggs and see what happens

Yeah, keep us posted on your comparison. I was keeping mine under the house (conventional flooring that is completely underpenned with an access door), but these oven-like high temperatures were starting to let the eggs get in the 73 degree range, and it seemed more than normal were ending up in the "started-developing-but-gave-up" state when I candled them. I'm setting ~70-80 eggs every 7 days, and the ones being kept in the cooler are not showing that "giving up" result that the warmer ones were. May not have been the warmer temp environment that was doing it, but with the "cooler-keeper", I feel more confident. Keep us posted on your comparison.......

ETA.........and my "spare laundry room / hatching room" refrigerator would not get any warmer than 49°, so I chose not to keep them in there even though I had good luck with a big batch being kept under that temp a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom