Someone stole a chicken from my backyard :o

TexasJoe

Taking a break
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Last night, I got home from work and realized that one of my Rhode Island Reds was missing from the cage. I look around and notice a lot of things out of place, and all four fasteners for the cage door were put back incorrectly. Not only am I upset that one of my beloved hens has been taken (and possibly abused/killed) but that someone has been in my locked backyard. I put my video camera up overlooking the cage area, now I just wonder if the thief is going to come back for more. What do you guys think I should do, put locks on the cages?

Just make sure the video camera is sort of concealed and wait to see what happens next. Good luck! It sure sounds like a two-legged predator....
sad.png

Make sure the video will capture their face, put it in a place where they can't avoid it and where the can't see it. Like a 'birdhouse' nailed right next to the door of the coop or something, pointed so that when you reach over to unlatch the coop you have to be looking at it.

Also, I would definately lock the coop, unless you're willing to sacrifice another chicken for the sake of catching this criminal. Or, put an very inconspicuous lock some where that they can't see, so after they get all the other latches undone and you've captured their face they'll go to open the door and oh, look, a padlock is now at the bottom of the door....

Hope u catch them, I know times are tough but that doesn't mean they should steal.

Attach a string from your coop door to the trigger of your shotgun! Well.......maybe NOT. But sometimes don't you wish just a little bit that these chicken stealin' varmints could be SSS'd as well?
If a persons that hungry all they have to do is ASK.
If all they're doing is stealing because "you have one and I don't"..............SSS.

Last edited:
Make sure you report the crime to the police. Ask for stepped up patrols in your area. Put up a no trespassing sign if you don't have one. Lock everything. Then if they come back, you are within your rights to shoot them dead! That's what I would do, but what do you expect from a guy called Jarhead
wink.png

* Darn!! Hate when that happens. We had a kid, maybe 13 y.o. in Chook's pen just the other night. He was taking her picture with a cell ph. camera. Disapeered by the time I got the back door open. We've had to bring her in now euerytime we go somewhere a little while and she's not too happy about it. Sorry about your red. Hope you catch the rat. (Ed.-)

Last edited:
File a police report ASAP!

I had this happen to me last year, except they took my entire flock! Called the sheriff and the deputy that came out asked if we caught the thief. My reply? "If you expect me to catch them, then next time I will call you out to pick up the body!"

It was said out of anger, and I am pretty sure he knew I didn't mean it.

i dont know how your door is set up but what about one of those alarms that has two parts and when the door is opened an alarm sounds. Ive seen them for just a few dollars. Maybe it would be enough to scare them away but I think a camera is definitely a good idea as long as they cant actually get another chicken.

Back
Top Bottom