Someone stop the madness!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by australorpchick, May 26, 2011.

1. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    The broody madness! This is just getting ridiculous. All of my laying-age silkies/silkie-x hens are either on eggs, with chicks, just finished with their chicks or recently broken of their broodiness. We're talking 13 hens people! Now the non-silkies are getting involved. The BCM started last week. Now I find for the second morning in a row that my head hen BA is in the nest box with the other broodies, with a naked chest, doing that maternal buk-buk thing. I've had this hen for 4 years now, she was already laying-age when I got her. She has never shown any interest in chicks. Enough is enough. Whomever is sending the broody vibes my direction, please stop! [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hmmm.... are you familiar with the BYCer "sourland"? He can make a rock go broody! [​IMG]

He swears it isn't so, but just last week he made 2 of my ducks go broody. I don't have a male duck!

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Ranchie I disagree, I blame it on Em. Those eels of hers scared my neighbors hens' to go back into their nests, thus equaling broodie deluxe!

4. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Am I the only person at BYC that can't get a chicken to go broody? I have to hire outside sources to get a broody to hatch eggs for me [​IMG] Y'all are so lucky

5. Bantimna

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:We should try get sourland here, could possibly assist you with your situation....though be careful effects can last a long time!

6. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Quote:We should try get sourland here, could possibly assist you with your situation....though be careful effects can last a long time!

That's ok too! Then I can stop overloading all of my friends and family with eggs. They have all asked that I stop for a while [​IMG] But I guess with 12 regular size layers and 4 bantam layers it does translate to a lot of eggs... Oh and 3 of my female ducks are going to start laying in the next month!!

7. Bantimna

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    *claps* Excellent situation for chicken math class...[​IMG]

I'd be happy to send you some of the hens I'm currently looking after. Always pecking and going for me poor fingers! [​IMG]

8. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Quote:Nope!

We thought maybe just maybe we might have a first broody hen in 4 or 5 years, but no. We have a broody coop ready and waiting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by