Someone tell me about ducks...

I have both rabbits and ducks..rabbits are a lot cleaner my ducks always make a mess. I have mallards and the meat to me is not very good bit greasy for me. I just have the ducks for fun. If I were you I would start with the rabbits

As far as the meat goes we like both rabbit and duck equally. As far as sustainablity I don't think we are ready for another full time flock. Housing, etc...that sort of thing would have to be worked out for something full time and sustainable...for the time being I think I am leaning towards ducks at this time...probably pekin....now the question I have is this...could they be brooded (inside of course) then moved to a 4X8 hoop coop / tractor? What age would you move them to the tractor? How many would fit in the tractor comfortably? Below is the tractor we made last year for the chickens as a "tween play area". Would that work? Also, do you just feed the game bird starter then grower to finish? What hatchery is best to order from? Do they need a pond? Or splash pool of some sort? Will they go back at night like the chickens do if let out to free range? I CLEARLY over think things, but would just like to be ready for all contingencies...

Back
Top Bottom