Someone tell me...

Is it ok to have them jump in water at 30-49 degrees F? At 9-10 weeks old ??
I let them go in their pool.. today then panicked ... brought everyone inside after the swim bc I was afraid it was too cool for them... it was about 55 degrees.
9 to 10 weeks old they should be fully feathered and able to swim anytime they want.
They have down coats on under those feathers.
you are actually probably going to do them more of a disservice by bringing them in every night then if you got them acclimated to the outdoor weather by just leaving them out there.
What's hard on them is the extreme change from warm to cold.
Ducks are cold hardy. Give them a house where they can get out of the draft and some deep bedding and they will be perfectly fine.

I understand.
in the beginning you're wanting to do everything right and you worry to death.
Eventually you get over that and as long as no one died it's a good day.

It's kind of like that diaper commercial..
Live and learn and then get luvs.😂
Yes!! I seriously say that to myself ... I remember thinking ... oh they beat me down again today... everyday I would say to my husband ... they win again ! But now a days ... I’m in the game !! Haha
I worry about everything!!!! I am prettybhard to take down energy wise ... oh they scored big time !! !! Hahaha!!
I have never been so beat down!! Not even in my internship and residency!! Haha

It is they K and H duck waterer... it isn’t really nice !!! Has little strainers in the cups and they are nice and deep and they big container does not drip when you turn it over to put on the item!! Their is a heated one as well!!
They will be back in supply in December !!
I meant to say to say IT IS really nice !!!

Here is the waterer

Attachments

• 538EE0FB-F86C-4DAB-AE1D-24ED009FB15B.png
    538EE0FB-F86C-4DAB-AE1D-24ED009FB15B.png
    573.2 KB · Views: 1
Oh! I've been thinking about you and your duckings! They are all grown up now! It happens so quickly, right?

I'm glad your one baby is feeling better in regards to her leg issues.

Ducks are so messy. I understand - I get overwhelmed just cleaning up my ducks' barn room every weekend. I loved the time when they were babies, but the cleaning was intense. I gave my babies food and water at night when they were young enough to need added heat. I was tempted to continue giving it to them. They made their bedding so wet that I quickly took away water and food at night, and only gave them water and food outside during the day. I verified with my avian veterinarian that ducks do not need water all night, as long as they have access to water all day.

My ducks actually prefer the cold to the heat. They get visibly uncomfortable in the 80 degree weather I love and are perfectly comfortable in weather I'm shivering in. My only concern with your ducks being in 30 degree weather is the temperature extreme of going from inside to outside. It's hard not to be anthropomorphic, but ducks are very different animals than us and experience temperature quite differently - in my opinion.

What kinds of difficulties / issues have you had ... are they ok?
In my research leading up to getting ducks I had read they were pretty hardy but I haven't really found that to be the case. One of my pekins grew so fast she developed splay leg - which we were able to reverse, thankfully! I've had several cases of bumblefoot, including one that ended with euthanasia, sadly. This despite trying many different substrates for their run. At one time I was soaking feet for three ducks every day, which is just time consuming and gets to be frustrating. I had a duck with an eye infection, which was easy to clear up with meds. One of my pekins was having her feathers pulled by one of the other pekins and I had no idea it was going on, despite how often I was out in their run or watching them outside. This resulted in patches of raw skin and occasional bleeding, for which I saw two vets and spent hundreds of dollars trying every remedy they could think of for her mystery skin ailment - oh brother, what a waste of money and my poor duck was tortured with so many medications and treatments! I was SO thankful to finally discover what was happening there so I could remedy the situation. Now one of my welsh has been doing a weird head-shaking thing every once in awhile for a couple months and may have something trapped in her trachea (still trying to figure this one out). I think I've just had bad luck, despite my efforts to do everything perfectly and take the best care of them. I don't want to put a damper on your duck love, but you asked, and these were the surprises I've had in a year and a half of duck ownership. I would still do it all again. I'm sure you won't have all these issues - probably none!! But if anything pops up, you have good resources here at BYC.

Oh! I've been thinking about you and your duckings! They are all grown up now! It happens so quickly, right?

I'm glad your one baby is feeling better in regards to her leg issues.

Ducks are so messy. I understand - I get overwhelmed just cleaning up my ducks' barn room every weekend. I loved the time when they were babies, but the cleaning was intense. I gave my babies food and water at night when they were young enough to need added heat. I was tempted to continue giving it to them. They made their bedding so wet that I quickly took away water and food at night, and only gave them water and food outside during the day. I verified with my avian veterinarian that ducks do not need water all night, as long as they have access to water all day.

My ducks actually prefer the cold to the heat. They get visibly uncomfortable in the 80 degree weather I love and are perfectly comfortable in weather I'm shivering in. My only concern with your ducks being in 30 degree weather is the temperature extreme of going from inside to outside. It's hard not to be anthropomorphic, but ducks are very different animals than us and experience temperature quite differently - in my opinion.
Yes!! They are all grown up... well.. today mommy was the big baby... it was supposed to thunder and lightning today!! So I kept them inside bc my one girl still
Struggles ( though is better) with her right leg ... and I still need a better ramp for them to get in the house - so I was afraid to let them be outside with thunder and lightening and I access to inside their house!! Of course here it is 3 pm no thunder ... no lightening!!! Only rain!!!
They are like “ what’s up mom??? Let us outside !”
Ugh... back to feeling like a failure !!!
Lol
Yes .. I agree with you about the drastic temperature differences ... so far it has only been in the 49-65 degree range and when they come in I open all
Windows so that it feels nice to them( I freeze ) but they are happy !
I am thinking this week is the week!!! They will stay outside over night ... 😬😬... we will see...
I was gonna just wait until 12 weeks ... but I think that is really nutty and over the top!
I may use a dog house in their run until the ramp /leg issue is better...

In my research leading up to getting ducks I had read they were pretty hardy but I haven't really found that to be the case. One of my pekins grew so fast she developed splay leg - which we were able to reverse, thankfully! I've had several cases of bumblefoot, including one that ended with euthanasia, sadly. This despite trying many different substrates for their run. At one time I was soaking feet for three ducks every day, which is just time consuming and gets to be frustrating. I had a duck with an eye infection, which was easy to clear up with meds. One of my pekins was having her feathers pulled by one of the other pekins and I had no idea it was going on, despite how often I was out in their run or watching them outside. This resulted in patches of raw skin and occasional bleeding, for which I saw two vets and spent hundreds of dollars trying every remedy they could think of for her mystery skin ailment - oh brother, what a waste of money and my poor duck was tortured with so many medications and treatments! I was SO thankful to finally discover what was happening there so I could remedy the situation. Now one of my welsh has been doing a weird head-shaking thing every once in awhile for a couple months and may have something trapped in her trachea (still trying to figure this one out). I think I've just had bad luck, despite my efforts to do everything perfectly and take the best care of them. I don't want to put a damper on your duck love, but you asked, and these were the surprises I've had in a year and a half of duck ownership. I would still do it all again. I'm sure you won't have all these issues - probably none!! But if anything pops up, you have good resources here at BYC.
Oh my that does sound like so so much on you.. I’m sorry. I can try imagine how much a of heartache his has been for you.. they are certainly lucky to have someone like you to care for them... I am sure your frustration level was though the roof!
I think the splayed leg thing is what is going on with my duck.. she continues to struggle when she walks and they said it too was bc of fast growth rate ... it is so sad to see her struggle ... how did you reverse it ?

I am sure you did everything you were supposed to do and then even more .. maybe the universe knew it would take someone with your heart to care for them.. not everyone can do what you’ve done ... you are a special person; I know just doesn’t make it easier .. but I do hope it gets easier for you.

Yes!! They are all grown up... well.. today mommy was the big baby... it was supposed to thunder and lightning today!! So I kept them inside bc my one girl still
Struggles ( though is better) with her right leg ... and I still need a better ramp for them to get in the house - so I was afraid to let them be outside with thunder and lightening and I access to inside their house!! Of course here it is 3 pm no thunder ... no lightening!!! Only rain!!!
They are like “ what’s up mom??? Let us outside !”
Ugh... back to feeling like a failure !!!
Lol
Yes .. I agree with you about the drastic temperature differences ... so far it has only been in the 49-65 degree range and when they come in I open all
Windows so that it feels nice to them( I freeze ) but they are happy !
I am thinking this week is the week!!! They will stay outside over night ... 😬😬... we will see...
I was gonna just wait until 12 weeks ... but I think that is really nutty and over the top!
I may use a dog house in their run until the ramp /leg issue is better...
You aren't a failure. My ducks are almost 6 and 7 years. There was a very loud sudden thunder storm with hail last week. My ducks were safely tucked into their barn, but I put my boots on and went to check on them. My paranoid bird mommy brain was like, "what if it startled them and they ran/flew into a wall and hurt themselves?!" They were fine. They were probably more bothered by me waking them up by turning on the light. I gave them apology mealworms and left quickly. So... You aren't the only paranoid one...

You aren't a failure. My ducks are almost 6 and 7 years. There was a very loud sudden thunder storm with hail last week. My ducks were safely tucked into their barn, but I put my boots on and went to check on them. My paranoid bird mommy brain was like, "what if it startled them and they ran/flew into a wall and hurt themselves?!" They were fine. They were probably more bothered by me waking them up by turning on the light. I gave them apology mealworms and left quickly. So... You aren't the only paranoid one...
Haha that is adorable !! I have just bought a baby monitor with video!! So that when they are in their little house I’ll be able to see and hear them!! ( oh brother I’m really on the edge here, lol)
And... still no thunder!!! So as a make up I will let them have a swim in the sunroom tonight ... !!! Watch!!! As soon as they get in the pool... it will start to thunder !!
🧐🤨

Back
Top Bottom