Something ate mamma! Can I incubate? (update, pics)

Sophie Mae

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Marion, Ohio
I am sooooo MAD. Only one week left to go! this is where she laid her nest.

This is what it looked like. Today I went out side to let the chicks out and to check and feed everyone, she was GONE! More than half of the eggs too! Not a shell or a feather in sight! It had to have happened sometime during night! This is right outside my bedroom window. I made a secure place for the ducklings and mamma once they were hatched, thought about moving ahead of time but I was worried she would not take to moving her nest, I wish I would of did it now. I took the remaining eggs and put them in the incubator, I had some in there from last week. My other duck made a nest farther away form the house and came up missing as well. It is worth a try right? They should of hatched on fathers day. It is kinda scary, it must be a coyote, so close to the house? I have five small dogs, they are always yapping at something. I could get up at least 5 times during the night. I did not hear them last night though:(

[url=https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66746_100_0521.jpg]
66746_100_0521.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Should I let them warm up and candle them later? Look for movement? I candled them the night before last and they looked pretty full, solid with an air sack on the end.

Quote:
Although I have no experience with duck eggs, I say it's worth a shot. It's better to try, even if only a few make it, than not to try and they all die. Probably wait a few hours, then candle again. Or just wait to see if they hatch at all. Good luck!
fl.gif
I'll be checking in so keep me posted! (And I'm sorry for the loss of your ducks
sad.png
)

I have outside (summer) individual pens to keep my breeds separate. The only predators I have problems with is snakes...rat snakes. Big ones, six feet is not unusual. Once in awhile a black snake. I live in a very rural area. Last year I tried relocating the snakes...that didn't work, so now they are killed.

There is no way I know of to keep snakes out. Anyway a couple weeks ago I know I had six eggs in a nest at night because I planned on gathering them the next AM and putting them in an incubator. In the morning curled in the nest was a happy, well fed snake that had eaten all six eggs. But a full grown hen is way too big for even those big snakes...they eat eggs and chicks with eggs being the preference.

I've caught snakes in an nest with a broody on it in the process of hatching out chicks...she will get all puffed up and peck at the snake but it largely ignores her. One nest...the only way I knew there was a snake in it buried in the shavings was because of the way the hen was acting.

When a raccoon, or a dog or a coyote gets to the nest I've always found evidence...feathers, blood, a messed up nest, openings in the wire fence. The only thing that comes and goes without evidence for me is snakes. They are also quiet.

Just a thought.

I have seen small garden snakes, I just can not think what would take a duck, and not leave any evidence. I lost one last week to, no feathers or anything left. Is there a big boa here??? If I did candle i would not know what to look for any more. They were all doing great so I will give it a couple of days past the due to hatch date before I give up.
sad.png
Hopefully a couple make it. I have a very lonely daddy duck right now.

I hope you have the eggs in the bator now.
Sounds like maybe a hawk. Hope you find the one that did it and make it good! Good luck with hatch.

A snake would not take a duck. I'll read the rest of the posts.

Last edited:
We had a problem with bear, killed tow doe. He is a good bear now. We installed an Electric fence that has kept the bear, coyote, dogs, raccoon and all else out. The fence charger is a hot one, it can be set up to stop anything that can't fly.

I am thinking of installing an electric fence around the run I have now. I have not been letting them free range on the days that I have to go to work, I work 4 on and four off 3 rd shift. I have to leave the house at 7 pm so it is still day light. I have to count on my son to shut the coop doors:/ not always dependable to do it as soon as they go in. The farmer planted corn in the fields surrounding 3 sides of my house so I am thinking that the tallness off the corn may allow more animals to hide.

Back
Top Bottom