Something ate my quail

Kconkle

Hatching
Apr 29, 2021
Melbourne,FL
Hi,
I'm raising my first batch of coturnix quail I have 3 females and 1 male. I have the myshire cage set up with egg protector and they've been doing fine since they've been outside at 3 week (they're around 10 now). I came out today and someone had killed one of my females. I want to say rat judging by the droppings in the food bin but most reading I've seen says rats won't bother live quail. It tried to drag the female out from the egg roller crack but she was to big so they ate what could come out (the neck and head)
Do you think it was a rat that got her or something else?

Attachments

• 20210429_090812.jpg
    20210429_090812.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 33
20210430_090712.jpg

This is their set up it somehow lifted up the top egg roller protector and got into the foor tray area. It tried pulling the body through the egg roller but she was to big so it just ate the head and neck that it could get out. I set up some rat traps and tied the cover down yesterday

:welcome :frow If you have a game camera put it up and then you will know what is lurking. I would suspect a rat but one picture is worth a thousand words as the saying goes. I love my cameras. Good luck...

There will be people that can answer better then I can but I think those type pens are made for indoor enclosures not outside. I'm thinking you probably have quite a bit of space that allows predators. I would wrap the wood structure with 1/2 hardware cloth immediately.

Back
Top Bottom