Something attacked my ducks last night (UPDATE: Saw what did it!)

Actually our neighbors shot a 65 pound coyote on their farm. That is unusual for a coyote, but they can get bigger. Watch out for your goats too. They have taken our other neighbors goats out of their pasture.

Not to be weird or anything - but perhaps a human male can go "mark" territory around your yard, that might help a little till you can get that gun!

The only solution for your problem is predator proof shelter. Some kind of shed or coop and not just a pen unless you have 2 strands of hot wire on it.
One a few inches above the ground and one on top
but even if your pen is hot wired your birds will still be at risk of being attacked by Owls.
I've had this happen 2 times when I left somebody out because she (one of my best Muscovy girls) didn't want to go in and I got sick of chasing her around.
The next morning... gone...not even a feather left behind. Thats usually Coyote or Fox.
Then a 2nd time 2 large Muscovy drakes...by morning one was gone the others head and neck was missing.
Never again.
I put them in every night no matter what.
Even during the day if I have to go away I put all my birds in pens since we've had stray dogs come through and kill free ranging birds.

Anyhoo, sure hope your duck recovers.
I would provide her with supplemental heat
and make sure to put electrolytes in her water.
Shes a cutie...looks like a buff.

ahh vet bills. my two knuckleheads are just over a year old and already we've racked up about 750-800$ in vet bills... mingmei's bumble foot surgery was the most expensive, about 450$ all said and done... luckily, i only got two and they are my only pets... i can't imagine having dogs or cats... eesh

I am so sorry to hear of your problems with the coyotes. Get a gun!!

I looked at the names that mean "Lucky" and I like Felcia. It sounds pretty and so is your duck!

Good luck to you both!
Cindy

The coyote was very big height wise, not weight wise. I guess I should have said tall. We have been wanting to move their pen to a better place, because the rain literraly turns it into a river. There is actually a small little channel with water flowing through it out there right now infact. We are going to roof it competly and have the wire go all the way up to the roof.

I am only about seven miles out of town, and it bothers me that none of my animals are safe only a few hundredd feet from my house. I don't want to kill it, but I also want to be able to protect myself and my animals if need be, that is why I want a gun. My mom is really thinking about buying me a .22 rifle, and a friend of mine and her dad do gun classes, so I think I might learn.

I think I'm going with Josephine and calling her Josie. It just fits her better.

Back
Top Bottom