Something attacked Olive

LilyS

Songster
Jun 8, 2020
I just found my duck outside. She came waking up to me but not quaking when I was calling her treats. All the skin and feathers are gone off her neck. It looks like just muscle.
I cleaned her wounds and put Blu kote? And vetericyn and she's in my bathtub with food and water until I finish her set up outside.
I'm wanting to know if it's in humane to keep her alive. She is standing and she can walk and quack. I'll post pics but I forgot to before I cleaned it. Sorry. I was in action.
20210804_152348.jpg
20210804_152348.jpg
20210804_152344.jpg

Attachments

• 20210804_152338.jpg
    20210804_152338.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 2
Do you have silver spray? It's a great way to protect and help heal flesh wounds. If your duck is eating, drinking and quacking, why not give her a chance to pull through.
I agree! A similar thing happened to my duck, Fish. He was lucky to get away but skin was missing on his neck and his back was cut up pretty bad and he made a full recovery! I kept him in the bathtub and used wound spray (I think it was called blue coat).

She's set up in the laundry room. I did put the vetericyn first. She's my girl. I just wanted to consult with you guys here, if it looks like she could pull through.
Thank you so much. I'll update later.

She's set up in the laundry room. I did put the vetericyn first. She's my girl. I just wanted to consult with you guys here, if it looks like she could pull through.
Thank you so much. I'll update later.
With skinnings, it's important to keep their enclosure as clean as possible. No hay or loose bedding like wood chips that can get in the injury. I'd suggest a blanket you don't care about, paper towel, old fabrics ect. It'll take a while but birds can survive this. You'll need to re treat daily to prevent infection. Use blue kote the first few days with the vet spray, but it doesn't need to be used through the whole recovery. Another thing you can use to help the healing is a salt water rinse daily, It helps to disinfect, and a sugar water rinse daily helps with regeneration. That's what helped with my quail that had been completely scalped, as well as the duckling we had a few years that got skinned.

And keep her inside to keep the flies away so you don't have to deal with maggots on top of this wound.
I believe if you follow the guidelines you have gotten here she'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom