Something bent/made a whole in my chain link!

AnnieOakley379

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Montana
I went to let the chickens out of the coop this morning, & noticed a gaping hole in the chain link. It looked as if something had reached in with 2 hands, & pulled it apart! It's not a huge hole, but it's about 3.5 or so inches...big enough for something to get in & cause mayhem.

ChickenCoop030.jpg

It is pretty tough wire...I had to use pliers to put it back to (somewhat) normal, & I patched it with hardware cloth just to be safe.

ChickenCoop036.jpg

I wonder what kind of animal can bend chain link? Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Wow...human or bear would be my guesses. too high for a raccoon to reach, foxes do not normally operate their paws in that manner, skunks would not do that, a dog would not do that...only thing I can think of is human, bear or coon (which height eliminates...a human would have climbed over so I would be looking for signs of bear...

strange though because a bear could have ripped that apart and torn into the coop itself, which is what they would usually do. May be time for a trail cam set up.

Wow...........that's impressive! What kind of mayhem did it cause? I hope you didn't lose any chickens. Are those connectors you used to attach the hardware cloth easy to pull off??
Did you see any kind of hair/fur around it?
Is it possible a deer got a leg caught in it???
Very strange!

I'm in Southeast MA.
smile.png
I don't think it was a human, because the gate is never locked. I'm not missing any chickens either.

The connectors for the hardware cloth are just big zip/cable ties. I had them on hand, so I used them. They are pretty strong.

A few people said it might be a dog...I didn't see any strays in the area. I have 4 big dogs on the property, but they're indoors at night. I will keep my eyes open & see if the neighbors have seen anything suspicious further down the street.

I HIGHLY doubt it was a human, and here's why. Humans are smart and lazy, why would they spend all that effort to put a hole in the chainlink of a chicken coop, when the door it unlocked? Of it it is a dog kennel, it would be easier just to flip the darn thing.

It could be a bear, but a bear could easily do more(I would imagine). If it was a bear, I doubt it would stop at such a small hole, ya know?

How high off the ground is it? I have seen dogs do similar, if not identical damage to chainlink. They get a bottom or top jaw in there and just chomp and go at it.

My suggestion? Strap some electric wire to the chainlink and make it hot(electrified). Chainlink is an excellent fence, very sturdy, but a determined dog can get through it. With electric wire, it creates as much a mental barrier as it does physical.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom