Something big!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chiknlady, Nov 6, 2008.

1. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    Well ever since Halloween-- something has been feasting on my ducks and chooks. It must be pretty big because I used a carcass to bait the humane trap--thinking it was a raccoon and the entire carcass was gone and the trap was not sprung. I just got off of the phone with the game commission and they think it is a fox or coyote! What now???

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Bigger trap?!?
    Gun?!?

Be careful with your livestock. the animal knows that there is a food source at your place now. It will snoop around more and try to get to your animals.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    They make big traps for that. Call animal control and see if they will bring you one out.

4. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    The Game Commission won't and the SPCA has traps, but will not remove wildlife. I have a 22 Ruger, but I am within city limits, so I may not be able to discharge the weapon. I am a little intimidated by the potential size of whatever it is--the ducks were ripped apart and the last one a whole half was missing and there was no blood...so probably something on the order of a dog/fox/coyote--which also has the potential to have mange and or other diseases...

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Oh that is awful. I would go get a really big live trap and then take it out of the city limits and do away with it. Good Luck.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would put out a coyote size trap...at least you can insure that be it fox size or yote dog size it is caught.

Good luck.

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    In a city, you may have access to one of those pest removal services. I don't know what they charge, but they'll have a better idea of what you've got on your hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by