Something else that really irritates me, haha

OlliOlliOlli

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Going into huge corporate-owned enterprises and being guilted at the register/bombarded!

A lot of successful companies in the US use overseas labor and pay their workers as little as necessary to bring in bigger profit margins...so why do I have to be guilted into giving money to a charity on top of patronizing the business?

I am running deep in the red for the next 2 weeks until I get my next monthly salaried paycheck and I literally have no shoes to wear thanks to an overzealous chewing puppy...I was paying for 2 pairs of Old Navy flip flops at $2.50 a pair and after hitting me up for a credit account, the girl at the counter was trying to get me to donate one of my pairs to charity (?!). Those $2.50 flip flops probably cost 50 cents max to make...why do they have to take the shoes off my feet rather than corporate shelling out a donation from their own pockets?

Walmart and Sears do this too...I had a student who actually quit her job because they were writing her up for refusing to hustle people into a 25% interest credit card when they were making purchases.

I also have issues with asking me for my home telephone number or email...they're so casual about it. I just answer "No, it's out of state." Really, I feel stalked for the sake of their marketing.

What happened to thanking your customers and making them feel welcome with incentives for purchases?

lol....i was at a computer store (chain) buying a new hard drive. the young girl at the counter asks "may i have you phone number?" my response...."may i have yours?" the look on her face was priceless!! no more questions from her.

My biggest pet peeve is when you're in line to buy and they talk the person in front of you into filling out an app for a credit card. Then you have to wait 5 minutes for them to run it. I have left old navy for this before, and put my stuff on the counter. If someone agrees to fill out an app, the least they could do it move them to another register, instead of making the rest of the customers wait.

My oldest daughter use to give me the dickens for doing business with Old Navy because of their work ethics in other countries. Women and Children would work for pennies a day, and then they sell their stuff for a 750% mark up . . . or something like that . . .but we bought tee shirts in there for my DH, for 99 cents each,
ep.gif
YEARS ago and they are still like new . . .but I agree, they are always asking something like that at fast food places too now, and I feel like telling them, "IF I WANT TO GIVE TO A CHARITY, I WILL DO IT ON MY OWN TIME, DON'T ASK ME!!!!",
barnie.gif
but they are only doing what they are told to do . . .then on the other hand, I read an article that said the women and children want to work in the factories, because if they didn't work there, they would be in the mines or in the fields working, and that was hard killing labor . . .so what do you believe. . .
idunno.gif

Quote:
I feel the same way and have walked out at Kohl's. I also don't like that Kohls has deals for credit card holders only and even had a TV add where the girls talked about how much she saves because she uses her CC.

Target asks every purchase if you want to apply for their card. I have made a 2.00 purchase and asked if I wanted to save 10% by applying for Target CC. I tell them the truth I had one and it was the worst card ever. Plus let's see get a new card to save 20 cents. Nah I think I will pass.

Last edited:
I was in a store the other day with DH and at the end of the sale she asked me my name and address. I said no you cant have it, the clerk replied that she needed it in order for the register to complete the sale and in case i needed to bring my item back for a refund they can look my purchase up.

then whats my receipt for?

you know she would not complete the sale without that info the manager came over cause i was getting ticked at that point. the manager even said thats the way the register is set up it wont complete the darn sale...

so after a lot of arguing they agreed to put the stores address and telephone number in place for mine but then the manager wrote in red sharpie marker across my receipt "final sale no refunds" all because i would not give my personal info...
smack.gif

so after a lot of arguing they agreed to put the stores address and telephone number in place for mine but then the manager wrote in red sharpie marker across my receipt "final sale no refunds" all because i would not give my personal info.

I think I would have been motivated to politely put the stuff down and said, Thanks, but no thanks ... that is over the top, IMHO !​

Quote:
I think I would have been motivated to politely put the stuff down and said, Thanks, but no thanks ... that is over the top, IMHO !

I was going to because i was fuming mad but DH is the peace maker.... and we really needed the item and they are the only store intown that carry it (or so we thought) now we are finding them all over town
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom