Something Entirely Different...New Serama Hatch (UPDATE & PHOTOS)

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
We have a dozen Serama Eggs in the incubator and they are due to hatch this weekend. This is our third try. We have had varying rates of success and this time opted to do everything different.

We raised the temp to 102 and it would sometimes go up to 103 for very short periods. (This was at the top of the eggs.) And the humidity reading was around 75%. I don't really believe either of these are an accurate reading, but it is good comparative reading for our bator.

In our last hatch there were several quitters that had huge air cells and the two chicks that hatched seem slightly "sticky". So we knew we needed to increase the humidity.

Our other Serama's hatched on day 21 and later. That is why we decided to increase the temp, too.

These little guys are on day 18 today. I saw four of the eggs rocking yesterday, today I saw another one and heard some cheeps! I am thinking they will hatch out tomorrow.

We put these eggs into the bator and haven't opened it except to add warm water. I check them though the windows. We haven't candled them at all.

I am hoping that these changes will help our hatch this time.

Last edited:
Good luck this time! Sounds promising...
fl.gif

Good luck!! I hatched 2 of 2 seramas just the other day that came with my frizzles. I killed all the frizzles, but the seramas did pretty good! One hatched day 21 the other day 19.

This is Peaches and Cream
tongue.png

PICT0303.jpg

Last edited:
Shelleyd2008-Your babies are adorable and I love their names.
love.gif

Thanks for all good hatching wishes, everyone! I really want to crack the code (and not the eggs!) so to speak, on hatching Serama's. I have really fallen in love with the breed. We'll keep trying until we get it right.

The seven babies we have are so darn cute! They are in an old ferret cage we had, that we put roosts up in. I hand feed them every day (tortilla's are their favorite treat....they ARE New Mexican Serama's, you know) and they love to crowd around pecking off bits and pieces. They talk and talk and will fly out to sit in my lap.

If I drop a bit of tortilla into the cage they totally ignore it and stand at the door and yell at me to come and spend time with them.

I know I am anthropomorphizing these little critters but it is hard not to! LOL

I'll post an update as events unfold....

Day 21 and we're hatching! Didn't happen as quickly as I thought it would. Sorta thought they would hatch out on day 19, as we had raised the incubation temperature a whole degree. We raised the humidity A LOT.

So far we have 3 babies hatched and 6 more pips and lots of rockin' and rollin'. I'll post with a final count when the hatch is done.....and of course, pic's too!

Keep on sending those GOOOOOD hatching vibes!

More New Mexican fingers crossed here... so do they like flour or corn tortillas??? My New Mexico chickies are pancake eaters
big_smile.png

One of these days, when you get the hatching thing figured out and get your numbers up, I would be interested in eggs or birds from you.

Back
Top Bottom