Something fishy going on with my flock

ravenzero

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Vancouver WA
I have three rhode Island Reds and 1 White Leghorn, they have been just fine for a year and half, The past two weeks we have had cooling temps in 40-50 degrees in portland or, and now I notice my girls have stopped laying, and also, the three RIR have been picking on the White Leghorn, she is getting her feathers picked and she looks awful.
I also have a red heat lamp on at night in the coop, could the hens be picking on her white feather because they look red in the light?

Any advice is appreicated.

Are you sure she is being picked on and not just molting? They can look rather weird during a molt.
_MG_6157.jpg
Some of my worst molts this year. Also - take that heat lamp away. That can cause so many more issues than it can help.

Prime time to molt and take the winter off. Maybe post a pic?

In your area you really don't need to supplement heat, even during molting. It's really not that cold.

in the fall chickens moult and slow down or stop laying because of the daylight hours being less. adult chickens don't need any heat lights. you could put a normal light on a timer in your coop and fool the hens into laying but i think that it burns them out and is unnatural.

Back
Top Bottom