Something go my poor silkies

TinyChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My backyard farm, Maine
Something got at my silkies last night. I usually leave the coop door open to the run at night because it's been so warm and the silkies like to sleep UNDER the coop sometimes. Well that isn't happening anymore.
Something moved the wood from the weak part of the fencing (which I didn't realize was weak until this morning) and pulled 5 of my silkies through. There were 13 altogether. One was stuck between the fencing and 2 others escaped.
I know at least one is dead so that leaves 4 silkies that are either on the run or gone for good
hit.gif

Okay so lesson learned. I will be turning on their radio tonight as well as locking them all in every night.
I'm buying extra fencing this weekend to reinforce the weak spots. I'll be setting my traps as well. My neighbors are keeping their eyes peeled for any silkies that are wandering around.
And I think I'm going to buy a motion sensor spotlight that will shine directly at anything that sets off the motion sensor.
Am I missing any steps? Any other tips?

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that some of your silkies return to you.

I got this Nite Guard Solar Predator Control Light from Amazon. It flashes a red light similar to a laser pointer light and it is supposed to keep raccoons, foxes, etc away. I have it on the coop right next to the hen door. So far haven't had any issues but have no idea if it really works or if the yard fence and my dog are better deterrants. Still, it was only $18 and it doesn't need electricity.

Good luck!

Oh, Tiny, I am so sorry! I would just be so upset......Sounds like you're going to enforce that fence real good though......Is it hardware cloth or chicken wire? The hardware cloth works best. I have NO IDEA why they call it cloth though.....It's nothing like cloth!
idunno.gif

Take care and
hugs.gif

Sharon

Shotgun, pistol, gernade, and a taser. Also maybe some electric fence, and some land minds.

We can also set some traps with rope, so when they enter the trap it grabs whatever it is by the legs and traps it.

I have chicken wire up there but there is also some of that green wire (expensive but hated) and that's where the predator got at them. I had some other wire over it to reinforce but it didn't do any good.
Oh thank you for that tip Marcy. I will definately check that one out first.
Thanks for your wishes Heather. I sure hope they do too.

You can also dig a trench and cover it with leaves and branches so when it walks over to get the chickens it falls in. Just going to have to dig a big trench.

Or dig a trench for you to lay in and wait for it.

Also maybe set some traps so when they step on the wire a big hammer comes swinging down and takes care of it.

When I lost my chickens to a snake. I dug a huge hole and lined it with plastic so they cant get out. I am on a mission to get them all. I don't know what one took my chickens, but it dont matter. they all go down.

Wait wait wait, I got a better idea. Stuffed animals. Dip them in some barbeque sauce, and put stitch some meat onto it. And on the inside stick some dynomite, with a distance trigger. When it gets far enough away....... BOOM, end of the predator.

Back
Top Bottom