Something gross beside the poo

Pollo, I'd post that last up separately, few will see it here because they think your first problem is already addressed.

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
I wish I could offer some sort of advice but I can't. One thing I do know is I will never see Japanese noodles the same again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
My guess is the first was a worm, and if so, the chicken should be wormed.

The lethargic hen, may or may not be the one with the worms. If it rains heavy, my chickens will all seek shelter. If they can't, they could possibly end up standing outside getting soaked which yes, could theoretically could cause them to get sick. I know if there feathers get completely soaked they have a hard time keeping their body temp warm. I would make sure she gets WARM and DRY and maybe put her in your house and/or feed her supplemental food/vitamins IF you think the cold was the problem. Others on here will have better solutions to treatment than I.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok - she is now in a cat carrier in our basement bathroom. She is warm and dry now. I made her scrambled eggs per someone's suggestion. She is not eating them though. We'll see what happens in the morning. Thanks everyone!

ITS ROUND WORM! It is gross... it comes from microscopic eggs in the soil. The worm egss are almost impossible to kill.... I was told to make a solution of half bleach and half water, and spray everything down to kill the eggs(my dog had it bad).

BTW, people can get it too(usually immune surpressed people in 3rd world countries). Besides malnutrition in its host, it can burrow through the intestines and make swiss cheese out of major organs.. it will cause serious secondary infections and internal bleeding if left untreated. Even blindness and organ failure to name a few.

It is serious. You should deworm right away. Cleanse the coop once every a week for two weeks to be sure you got all the worm eggs... and be sure to deworm your birds regularly.

Also, worms are spread through poop.... the chicken eggs will be covered in microscopic round worm eggs. Be sure toss all the eggs layed in the trash till you get this under control. If I were you... I would take a little food grade DE and add it to my diet for a bit to be safe... roundworms usually dont survive in healthy humans... but still... the idea is creepy.

Good luck - Deworm/Clean - AND BE MERRY!

I read a post somewhere about a bit of reproductive tract coming out of a bird, but it does sound like worms. I just wormed everyone here after having one hen poo out a bunch of what are round worms.Just google that and click on images on the top...or google on chicken worms and you'll get a variety!
DE is not a wormer, its a preventative. I use it along with a bunch of natural wormer type things, but I also worm with real medicine if I see actual worms and there is blood in poo! I used Wazine this time, but I ordered some other type that addresses other types of worms. I guess that also the wormer doesn't kill the eggs so it has to be repeated in 4 weeks. you cant eat the eggs while worming because the medicine goes into them. I dont think the worms go into eggs or we would all have them! Follow the instructions on the bottle of wormer for how long not to eat the meat of the animal as a rule of thumb for how long not to eat the eggs.
If anyone has any information on worms getting into the eggs Id love to know, because it has occurred to me and I ask everyone!
Also, I had a vet look at a mixed sample of my bird's poo and there was nothing parasite-wise....but then this one hen dropped a gush of blood and then a gush of worms...as if she was shedding them out! So maybe I didnt get the right sample.
I used 5 different poos and tried to pick the first morning on ones that looked the worst!
Ive also treated for coccidiosis, just in case....

I dont think that a clorox solution can kill worms in dirt! It might kill your grass...I just got some barn lyme that I use in the dog run from time to time and IM gonna spread that around...but there is no way to cover all the places they go!

Back
Top Bottom