Something happened to Blue Roo's wattle, infection and shrunk up pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WriterofWords, Jan 24, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Penny has been biting Blue's beautiful wattles and I found one of them all shrunk up and blown up, and infected. I opened it, cleaned it out with peroxide and treated it with Neo-sporin. It had crusted blood on it, some pus but not a lot, when I cleaned it out with a Q-tip a lot of tissue came out too. This is what it looked like before I cleaned it up, doesn't look a lot different now but I let him go play and recover because I had him in the house a long time cleaning him up.

[​IMG]

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Yikes! Hope it heals up quickly [​IMG]

3. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    What's with the roos letting their favorite girls peck them to bloodiness? Mine has been letting them do this to him too, but he crows his lonliness when I bring him in to heal. What gives?

Good luck, and my sympathies to you!
    -Christian

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know, but I sure wish he'd stop it! He won't let the Sisters do it, but Penny can eat him alive and it's ok!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Dang Writer, this hasn't been your day at all. I hope you and Blue have a much better one tomorrow. [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you, and you are right, it's been a lousy day. Steven just came in from shutting the baby pen and coop and said one of the 5 babies we brought back from Odessa is missing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by