Something happened to Clotilde's foot... ???

Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
My hen Clotilde has something wrong with her foot. Like the top of her foot, right off the shank where the toes come out... It looks like a bunch of her scales have been either torn or chewed off, and it's a bit bloody.
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

The other day another hen had something similar -- 1 or 2 scales torn off, so I wiped it with peroxide and put a little cream on it. But I just thought her foot got caught somewhere. But now this has happened to Clotilde as well.

Any ideas? Does it look like it's been torn? Or chewed? A neighbor's Border Collie has been wandering around, so it's possible she could have gotten at Clotilde. I doubt either of our dogs did it -- Ginger acts like the chickens don't exist and Riley isn't allowed out of the fence (and the girls aren't allowed in).

Leg mites don't do that, right? As far as I knew, leg mites just made the scales raise and get itchy and stuff, not bloody and torn....

Ouych! I think I would try cleaning it~you could soak in salt water~ and then applying something to it~triple antibiotic ointment or betadyne spray. ~ Poor thing.

I think if a dog had gotten it they would've inflicted more damage & there would be feathers, signs of a struggle, etc. Looks like an injury, is there a fence they can "snag" themselves on? Rough roost? Look around for hazards.

I would clean the wound with warm water & some antibacterial hand soap. Follow with Triple Anitbiotic. Seems I read somthing on here about Bactine working well for chickens also.

Good LucK & let us know how it goes!

I'm really thinking something was chewing on it. When I washed it up and put on antibiotic cream, there were bits of other scales that looked scraped and peeling.

I don't think there's anywhere sharp on our fences -- not down where the chickens would be going through or anything. But I'll take a look around tomorrow to be sure. And no rough roosts -- they've been in there 6 years and are made of dowels.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't think that's the work of a dog. Collies might nip at the heels but they wouldn't bite/chew like that and if a dog were trying to kill the bird it would do what is instinctual for canines which is to grab the neck and shake (or at least grab the torso).

Rats would chew on chicken legs.. or any part of a chicken they could get, especially at night.

However, to me it looks almost like something like wire maybe got wrapped around her leg and cut her.. or she cut it on something.

I'm sorry this happened to your bird - please keep us updated!

Hey guys... I checked her foot this morning and it looks SO much better! That antibiotic cream is pretty awesome (it's homemade, btw). I'll get a picture for you all later -- lots of things to do today, so I don't have too much time. I still need to look around for sharp stuff/wires, but I just wanted to update you all and let you know how her foot looks.
smile.png

Updated pics! With a portrait of the patient and her worst stinkeye... Golly was she mad at me!

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

I put some SWAT on it -- mainly because it's getting warm today, the scales look raw, and she's digging in cow pies. I think it's looking pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom