1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

something happened to my Partridge Bantam rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chevgrl, Sep 10, 2011.

1. chevgrl

chevgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Western Iowa
    Yesterday I walked into my coop to check on the ladies, One of my maran pullets who should be laying any day Now [​IMG] was in one of the nesting boxes. but there was no egg. I went back into the coop like 20minutes later and there in the sawdust laid my little bantam rooster laying on his back smooshed into the bedding and not moving. at first i thought he was dead until i picked him up. His feathers on his stomach were all wet and broken and when i went to set him on top of the nesting boxes he just tucked his head under himself and laid there. I have 5 dogs the youngest being 5 and weve have had chickens before all of them. and they have never touched one of my chickens in anyway! So i am super surprised that one of them would do this... he has no open wounds or puncture marks. He wont stand up but he does shuffle himself back and forth while his head is tucked under.

i gave him a bath this morning and took a few pics his right leg looks alittle swollen and that leg is really stiff. Is there a possibility that he fell off the nesting boxes and landed on his back? i dont think he is paralyzed cause he moves but he wont stand up. all he does is sleep and drink water but wont eat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Britney

Britney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    The poor roo. I sure hope that someone can help you help him.

3. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by