sepideh1988

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2017
Hi. my 2.5 years old chicken, has something in her abdomen. I don't know what is it?ls it possible enlarge liver, spleen or kidneys?or fat gland?can she has liver or kidney failure? I can feel it with my hands and when I stuck my finger in her intestines, it's just under her intestines and movable . and she has constipation, small and green poops.we haven't any vet who know about chicken.vet said that it's an egg and come out with massage!what can I do?

Vet is saying she is egg bound? This can kill her quickly, if she gets to the point that she can’t poop at all. An epsom salt bath is the first course of action, along with some calcium (oyster shell, egg shell, crushed Tums, whatever). Was this an avian vet? It concerns me if the vet indicated an egg was stuck and did not give instructions. Something else could be going on. Why did you feel her abdomen in the first place? The constipation?

Last edited:
when I stuck my finger in her intestines, it's just under her intestines and movable . and she has constipation, small and green poops
Can your vet perform an xray to see where it is?

If you are feeling an egg shape under the intestines in the abdomen - then it could be a tumor, an actual egg or some other mass that is in the abdomen. This would indicate a reproductive/internal laying disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer, tumors or Salpingitis. I'm very sorry- if it's in the abdomen, there is no way to remove it.

Vet is saying she is egg bound? This can kill her quickly, if she gets to the point that she can’t poop at all. An epsom salt bath is the first course of action, along with some calcium (oyster shell, egg shell, crushed Tums, whatever). Was this an avian vet? It concerns me if the vet indicated an egg was stuck and did not give instructions. Something else could be going on. Why did you feel her abdomen in the first place? The constipation?
no . I'm sure she isn't egg bound.she has this problem for one month now,and she's fine.here vets nothing know about chickens.first days her abdomen was very hard and, but it's very soft now.

Can your vet perform an xray to see where it is?

If you are feeling an egg shape under the intestines in the abdomen - then it could be a tumor, an actual egg or some other mass that is in the abdomen. This would indicate a reproductive/internal laying disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer, tumors or Salpingitis. I'm very sorry- if it's in the abdomen, there is no way to remove it.
vets in here don't have anything.they just sell drugs and foods and nothing know about chickens.

How is your girl otherwise? I am sorry I am unable to help more. Thinking there may be an obstruction of some kind, thus the small poops. Does she have any other symptoms? Good luck.
she has this problem for one month ,she's better for one week now.her abdomen is softer.but something I forget to say, that her poops have hard egg yolk,it's possible that hard thing in her abdomen cause this?any one saw something like this?

she has this problem for one month ,she's better for one week now.her abdomen is softer.but something I forget to say, that her poops have hard egg yolk,it's possible that hard thing in her abdomen cause this?any one saw something like this?
Pics of the poops with hard egg yolk, please.

Photos of the poop would be helpful.
From this description, it sounds like she has Salpingitis or "lash egg". Take a look at the links below to see if anything looks familiar.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/03/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by.html

fwiw - you may also be interested in this thread - OP could feel an egg or mass in the abdomen- she ended up putting her hen down - she included photos of what she found. The "egg" that she felt was Salpingitis. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fluid-in-belly-with-egg-floating.1202391/

Pics of the poops with hard egg yolk, please.
pics of the poops
sometimes like this
sometimes very small and bright green
IMG_20171022_050820.jpg

IMG_20171022_050747.jpg

Back
Top Bottom