Something is bugging me LOL!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bayouchica, Jun 22, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I've got a light out in the chicken yard at night. I usually spray water on the ground & cover it so the chickens will find some bugs first thing...but LOOK at this one... I have never seen a beetle that big around here, tooo cool. [​IMG] The chickens were kinda put off with it cause it was so big. I let it go in a wood pile by the woods.
    Do any of yall know what kind it is??? I've tired searching,no luck.

[​IMG]

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    That's a big one. My DH has an insect book (yeah I have no clue why) and I looked through it, I couldn't find that beetle though. I don't know maybe a new species. Probably not, it's a big book. I didn't look at ALL the bugs. [​IMG]

3. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
  4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Whoa, I was going to say that it looked like the unicorn beetle in my book but the one pictured must be a male. The one you found looks just like the one in the book without the huge pinchers.

5. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    its cool, that said I dont' care WHAT IT IS, there is no way it would be on MY hand!!!

[​IMG]

6. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I gotta agree with Chelly ! Ugh....cool beetle but Ugh

Kim

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] WOW...now WHY would you have that thing on your hand??? Ohhhh, no...not me!! UGH! That is one BIG creepy bug! I would be running and screaming for MERCY!!

8. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

9. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Oooh! Very cool! A woman after my own heart as well! Aside from spiders, I love the creepy crawlies. I found a gigantic stick bug a few weeks ago while bug hunting with the little boy I work with. We named it Twiggy Stardust [​IMG] It was seriously the largest one I've ever seen.

Anyway, great find. I've never seen such a large beetle in real life.

10. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Awsome bug. Yea I would be the one to pick it up too. Gotta love the big ones [​IMG] We are loaded here with praying mantis. I found one on my car last year and took it to my daughters daycare. The kids loved it. The adults kept their distance. My husband won't even touch them.[​IMG] As for the walking sticks I found one that was almost as large as my forarm a few years ago. Way Cool!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by