Something is visiting my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kimmypie, Dec 10, 2013.

1. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I went out to check on the chickens today and saw these prints. I didn't go out yesterday so I'm not sure how long they have been there. Whatever it was couldn't get in the coop (and there is no evidence of it trying--like scratches on the coop or anything) but was able to get in the run. We have a 5 foot hardware cloth fence around it, nothing dug under (it's been well below freezing for at least a week) and I guess it could have squeezed in through the gate? I don't know. Any guesses? There is a very large "polar bear" dog as my kids call it, that is out all the time in an unfenced yard. In my uneducated opinion it looks like a Great Pyrenees, but I really don't know. The only other dog that I know gets out sometimes is a small scotty dog. We don't have a fence and live fairly rurally, a 1/2 acre lot in a new development in the foothills.

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Looks a little more like coyote to me.

Any wolves where you live?

3. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    We do have coyotes, cougars, etc. but I do not think we have wolves.

4. Blue CopperHen

Blue CopperHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    It looks like a dog track to me. I found huge tracks in my well walked snow path to my coop. It looks like a large dog and would explain why my Mastiff bolted out the doggie door and went crazy at the fence. You know what I found strange? There were also deer tracks mixed in with the dogs, and neither track to me appears that anybody was in a hurry. LOL

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A coyote has a smaller rear pad (like the picture) than a dog of the same size.

6. Blue CopperHen

Blue CopperHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    That is what I intended to say was dog/ coyote. I should have elaborated more. [​IMG]

7. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

If you know the exact size of the track, this may help.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice track illustrations shmccarthy.

If the 5' fence is sturdy enough, a coyote could jump over it.
    Were there tracks on both sides of fence to indicate it went over the fence?

9. glebreton

glebreton Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    St. Martinville, LA
    From the size of prints, I would say a coyote or smaller dog, but not a Pyrenees. Could also be a bobcat. I shot one at my pen after it got a couple of my hens.

I suggest you get on ebay or go to a sporting goods store and spend about $80 on a decent deer camera. Set it up on the tracks and you will get a pic of the culprit. Plus you will get a time stamp of his activity so you can plan appropriately... Good luck

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by