Something is visiting my chickens

kimmypie

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Utah
I went out to check on the chickens today and saw these prints. I didn't go out yesterday so I'm not sure how long they have been there. Whatever it was couldn't get in the coop (and there is no evidence of it trying--like scratches on the coop or anything) but was able to get in the run. We have a 5 foot hardware cloth fence around it, nothing dug under (it's been well below freezing for at least a week) and I guess it could have squeezed in through the gate? I don't know. Any guesses? There is a very large "polar bear" dog as my kids call it, that is out all the time in an unfenced yard. In my uneducated opinion it looks like a Great Pyrenees, but I really don't know. The only other dog that I know gets out sometimes is a small scotty dog. We don't have a fence and live fairly rurally, a 1/2 acre lot in a new development in the foothills.

It looks like a dog track to me. I found huge tracks in my well walked snow path to my coop. It looks like a large dog and would explain why my Mastiff bolted out the doggie door and went crazy at the fence. You know what I found strange? There were also deer tracks mixed in with the dogs, and neither track to me appears that anybody was in a hurry. LOL

A coyote has a smaller rear pad (like the picture) than a dog of the same size.

That is what I intended to say was dog/ coyote. I should have elaborated more.
smile.png

Nice track illustrations shmccarthy.

If the 5' fence is sturdy enough, a coyote could jump over it.
Were there tracks on both sides of fence to indicate it went over the fence?

From the size of prints, I would say a coyote or smaller dog, but not a Pyrenees. Could also be a bobcat. I shot one at my pen after it got a couple of my hens.

I suggest you get on ebay or go to a sporting goods store and spend about $80 on a decent deer camera. Set it up on the tracks and you will get a pic of the culprit. Plus you will get a time stamp of his activity so you can plan appropriately... Good luck

Back
Top Bottom