something is wrong with my avocado plant, advice needed

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
My avocado tree is about a year old, in a pot in the house, about 2 ft tall. In the past 2 weeks it has lost nearly all its leaves. It has new growth forming at the top, but even the newest full size leaves are drying and shriveling at the tips and probably won't last much longer. I water it weekly, keeping the soil moist. It was doing really well for months and I feel it has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. What's going on? What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_6432.JPG
    IMG_6432.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6433.JPG
    IMG_6433.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6434.JPG
    IMG_6434.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 7
I am not much of a green thumb, I grow onions, rhubarb, carrots, and an assortment of citrus trees. But I can attempt yo help! Have you given it any fertilizer, compost, or plant food? How much sunshine is it getting? Aren't avocados kind of difficult to grow?

Thanks! I took the picture after sunset with just the ceiling light on. It is in the warmest and sunniest room of the house. I can certainly make an effort to give it more sun though. Days are getting longer too so I hope that will help.

I am not much of a green thumb, I grow onions, rhubarb, carrots, and an assortment of citrus trees. But I can attempt yo help! Have you given it any fertilizer, compost, or plant food? How much sunshine is it getting? Aren't avocados kind of difficult to grow?

I have not given it any fertilizer or compost in a long time! I can certainly give it some. This is my first avocado plant. I am actually surprised how well it's done so far. I grew it from a pit last winter from an avocado I ate with dinner! I know it will never live outside in my climate and will probably never produce, but it was a nice looking house plant for awhile there.

You could certainly move it outside when the temps get more moderate. I have no experience with avocado plants, but suggest that you fertilize it about 1x/mo. with a liquid fertilizer. Miracle grow type, about 1/2 tsp/gallon. You could also add epsom salt @1 tsp/gallon. Check for signs of spider mites, scale, and any insects living in the soil.

More light and give it a feed. And don't water so often. They don't like to have constantly damp roots. Mulching will help retain soil moisture, reducing the need for watering. A light watering every now and then is all it should get. They should be fed about once a month. They also like really good drainage, so make sure the roots aren't blocking the drainage holes of the pot. If they are, it's time to repot. When you do that, put a layer of gravel in the bottom of the pot to avoid soggy roots.

Back
Top Bottom