Something is wrong

andysgirl

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2016
Any advice please! My 17 week hen hasn't laid any eggs yet. This morning during chores I found her against the wall acting sick. She had watery chalky poop and moves very very slow. Is she really sick or do they act like this when close to laying the first egg? I'm concerned. I know it's not much info, but I don't hav anymore. And I'm scared to lose her or possibly the rest of my hens. I hav separated her from the rest of the flock.

No that's not normal behavior.

I see you are in Texas. She could be suffering from heat, try moving her to a cooler area, if she is panting, dip her feet/legs (lower body) in cool water (not cold), offer her some cool water - if you have electrolytes you can add that. Get her hydrated first, then worry about food. If she will eat after she drinks, offer wet feed -mix some feed with water. Keep her in a cooler place so you can monitor her progress. Treats in hot weather try cold/frozen watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, etc.

Is she new to your property? How long have you had her and how long has she been outside?

If it's not heat, check her crop, is it full, empty, soft, squishy, does her breath smell? Does she have grit available.

Poop Chart:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Hi and thanks! She isn't panting. She is in the shade. We've helped her take a few drinks. Also added a small amount of braggs apple cider vineger to her water. Her crop is pretty much empty. We've had her since she was about 3 days old. Ordered her from Townline hatchery. She is a Barred Rock. She's been in the coop/run for several months with the rest of the 14 hens 1 rooster and 2 Guinneas. We do let them free range some. Maybe she ate something bad? Got bit by something bad? Maybe she fell from the roost during the night and hurt herself.

Well, she died...
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom