Something is wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andysgirl, Jul 17, 2016.

1. andysgirl

andysgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    Any advice please! My 17 week hen hasn't laid any eggs yet. This morning during chores I found her against the wall acting sick. She had watery chalky poop and moves very very slow. Is she really sick or do they act like this when close to laying the first egg? I'm concerned. I know it's not much info, but I don't hav anymore. And I'm scared to lose her or possibly the rest of my hens. I hav separated her from the rest of the flock.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    No that's not normal behavior.

I see you are in Texas. She could be suffering from heat, try moving her to a cooler area, if she is panting, dip her feet/legs (lower body) in cool water (not cold), offer her some cool water - if you have electrolytes you can add that. Get her hydrated first, then worry about food. If she will eat after she drinks, offer wet feed -mix some feed with water. Keep her in a cooler place so you can monitor her progress. Treats in hot weather try cold/frozen watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, etc.

Is she new to your property? How long have you had her and how long has she been outside?

If it's not heat, check her crop, is it full, empty, soft, squishy, does her breath smell? Does she have grit available.

Poop Chart:
    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. andysgirl

Jul 8, 2016
    Hi and thanks! She isn't panting. She is in the shade. We've helped her take a few drinks. Also added a small amount of braggs apple cider vineger to her water. Her crop is pretty much empty. We've had her since she was about 3 days old. Ordered her from Townline hatchery. She is a Barred Rock. She's been in the coop/run for several months with the rest of the 14 hens 1 rooster and 2 Guinneas. We do let them free range some. Maybe she ate something bad? Got bit by something bad? Maybe she fell from the roost during the night and hurt herself.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is she doing now?

5. andysgirl

Jul 8, 2016
    Well, she died...[​IMG]

6. Wildsofie

Wildsofie New Egg

Jul 17, 2016
    Owe sorry I just saw this but I'm sorry for your lose

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

You mention you wonder if she ate something bad, etc.
    Just in case, take a look around where they free range for anything rotten or moldy?

8. andysgirl

Jul 8, 2016
    Good idea thanks.

9. andysgirl

Jul 8, 2016
    Best I could tell by the poop chart she died from kidney failure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by