Something I've never before caught in a live trap!

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I had to set out some live traps to try & catch the critter that recently killed a hen & a drake. I did catch the culprit, and have been keeping the traps set for another week or so just in case it had accomplices. The traps have a few whole eggs in the backs of them for bait, along with dishes of smelly cat food set underneath the traps.

One of the traps was set behind the coops, against the fence along the canal bank behind our property. This morning I noticed it had been sprung, the door was shut. I had to climb over the fence & hike through the weeds to the trap. Then remove the cinder block weighing it down, and take off the feed sacks used to cover the trap.

What was caught inside? An animal I have never before caught in a live trap, one I never thought would get itself caught in one. It was...

hu.gif

hu.gif

hu.gif

hu.gif

hu.gif

hu.gif

hu.gif

th.gif

...an enormous algae-covered slider TURTLE!!!
ep.gif
I don't know if it went in there because it was attracted to the bait or if the trap just happened to be in her path as she plodded down the canal bank. She hadn't been in there long because the algae on her back was still very moist. She's back in the canal now, puzzling over the strange turn of events in her morning. And I have another item to list under Things Caught In Our Live Traps.

no pics:tongue

where is that member with the funny "this post is useless without pics" sign!! lol

Sorry, I don't carry my camera with me EVERYwhere! I was trying to make haste to find out what was in that trap, and once I saw it was in a hurry to get it back in the water. The turtle had had enough hassle for one day without having to stand for photos.

It wouldn't surprise me to see either one. I usually don't set the traps near the canal bank, and probably won't do that again. Only the smallest gators would get caught all the way in a live trap, but a larger one could get its tail or back injured by the closing door. And I've never seen a snapping turtle walking way up on dry land, it seems they stay in or near the water. But the sliders, the cooters & the soft-shelled ones often walk some distance to get to another lake or canal, often crossing the road. We've stopped to rescue many of them and help them cross to safety.

Well I can honestly say that's a first to hear that one....it must have been in her path....LOL>>...hmmm would it have gone for the cat food though?? good question..

Back
Top Bottom