Something killed 7 of my ducks

Emmaschooks

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Wondering if anyone had any ideas...I’m devastated, I came in this morning and all 5 of my mandarins were gone, my Call duck and one of my Bali’s. 7 in total. The remaining ducks and geese looking exhausted and terrified.
Apart from a small patch of blood in the corner of their shed there is no evidence, no bodies, body parts, hardly any feathers, nothing, they have just vanished. Something dug in from under the fence in a tiny 6inch x 6 inch hole. I’m thinking young fox, it took all the small birds as well to fit back through the hole it made. But then I’m thinking what if its even someones escaped ferret or a cat?
We are digging in paving slabs along the fence line and I am going to shut them in their shed tonight. My worry is I have chickens in pens next door and I’m so scared whatever it is, if it can’t get duck will go for the chickens instead. The only way to get to the chickens is through the duck pen.
We are putting up a camera trap to try and at least find out what it is, but does anyone have thoughts? I’m in the UK also so no raccoons here (I think).
Big up to my 2 big drakes (one of them limping today) and my geese, I think they were fighting to protect the girls last night.
Just praying it doesn’t happen again, I’ve been here nearly 2 years without an issue and then suddenly 7 in one night. I’m heartbroken.

So sorry for your loss. Now that the predator has made a kill it will be back then you will know what you're dealing with. I have several cameras up on my property and was surprised at the predators that roam here mostly at night. It has probably been lurking looking for an opportunity. My guess would be a fox. Good luck...

So sorry for your loss. Now that the predator has made a kill it will be back then you will know what you're dealing with. I have several cameras up on my property and was surprised at the predators that roam here mostly at night. It has probably been lurking looking for an opportunity. My guess would be a fox. Good luck...
Thank you, we have made the fence line dig proof from both sides. I think fox as well, I’ve seen a few skulking around and they are urban foxes so quite small. I’m most upset about my little Call duck, she was adorable. Not sure if its better or worse there were no bodies because I have no closure. Will see what the camera trap yields then we can better protect. I hope the geese give it a kicking if it does come back.

Thank you, we have made the fence line dig proof from both sides. I think fox as well, I’ve seen a few skulking around and they are urban foxes so quite small. I’m most upset about my little Call duck, she was adorable. Not sure if its better or worse there were no bodies because I have no closure. Will see what the camera trap yields then we can better protect. I hope the geese give it a kicking if it does come back.
I know your feelings. A fox got my most favorite bird last year. I was out painting on the coops when it sneaked in and took my Gladys. I never found her body but did find feathers. I was heartbroken too. I cried like a baby. I still miss her.

:hugs
That is heartbreaking..so sorry about your adorable ducks.......a fox broke in through a sliver of an opening at the bottom of a stall and drug out my guinea. I would not have ever thought he could go through such a small opening and then take the bird too!! They are clever. Make sure all the holes are blocked! It is hard to have closure when they are taken like that. Very painful, I agree.

Foxes will attack geese too. They were not the easiest prey is why they were left alive.

Also I recommend putting an audio monitor near your birds. They are very cheap and saved my chickens. And a nightlite, chickens make a lot of noise when they can see the attacker.

Also I recommend putting an audio monitor near your birds. They are very cheap and saved my chickens. And a nightlite, chickens make a lot of noise when they can see the attacker.
Good suggestions, maybe a bit sadistic but I set my rat traps tonight and put them at the outer gate. Whoever pokes around there tonight is going to get one heck of a shock. Hopefully give a good enough scare to send them packing.

:hugs
That is heartbreaking..so sorry about your adorable ducks.......a fox broke in through a sliver of an opening at the bottom of a stall and drug out my guinea. I would not have ever thought he could go through such a small opening and then take the bird too!! They are clever. Make sure all the holes are blocked! It is hard to have closure when they are taken like that. Very painful, I agree.

Foxes will attack geese too. They were not the easiest prey is why they were left alive.
Thank you for your sympathy, I had one duck taken years ago the first time I had them and it was awful. My drake then had tried to save his wife as he was all scratched up too. We have completely blocked the bottom of the fence with heavy slabs and dug them in too. And I’ve set my rat traps by the outer gate for a nasty surprise. Not in favour of animal cruelty but mess with my birds and I’ll fight dirty too.

I know your feelings. A fox got my most favorite bird last year. I was out painting on the coops when it sneaked in and took my Gladys. I never found her body but did find feathers. I was heartbroken too. I cried like a baby. I still miss her.
Oh no, I’m so sorry for your poor Gladys. I try not to have favourites for this reason, its terrible when they are there one day and gone the next. I’m about to have a very anxious night but I’m thankful not all of them were taken, and not my hand-rear duckling from last year, she’s the youngest.

Back
Top Bottom