Something killed all my chickens.

We saw a fox this morning. We have coyotes, there was a bobcat sighted, there are dogs in the area. I'm just so sad thinking of them being so scared and killed one by one. The one that is alive has a bite mark on her back. I'm warming her, cleaned the wound, used pain killing antibiotic on it, giving her water. She is in shock.

Fox or bob cat are known to rip open and eat inners for most part.What info you gave my money on a dog.sorry for your loss.With all the preditors you name you need a electric fencing to protect your future fowl if you continue.

Fox or bob cat are known to rip open and eat inners for most part.What info you gave my money on a dog.sorry for your loss.With all the preditors you name you need a electric fencing to protect your future fowl if you continue.
I agree some dogs can climb fences and even trees but its the netting I don't think a dog would make it in and out of. Theyre just not graceful creatures lol

Be aware that anything that came once will come back. Could be the next day, the next week ... but it will be back. Be sure to up your security. If you can add a trail camera, you may get an idea of what it is when it comes back.

So sorry. :hugs Where in the world are you? Bears, dogs, weasels, and the likes will kill for sport. Where were the wounds and bites? Do you have pictures of the chickens?

How is your one that is still alive? Can you send pictures? Maybe there is a chance of saving her. Hope you also find the.missing one.
I did not take pictures. They were just dead, like maybe a crushing bite. I left home at 10, came back at 1 and they were stiff. One has a bite ark on her back. She is still alive. One is missing. Most horrible thing I've ever seen.

How high is this fencing we're talking about? And what kind. I have chain link on my run and that is not predator proof by any stretch and easy to climb.
4 foot high chain link wrapped in wire with one inch openings, framework over the top with bird netting attached to the fence. The fence goes down Into the ground, surrounded by timbers secured by spikes. I will be adding the chicken wire over the top as well instead of the netting. Adding an electric wire.

many hugs to you! This is terrible.
It's difficult to say what killed your chickens. I am thinking that the missing one became lunch :(
You probably have to reinforce the top of your run, with something more sturdy. This just sucks all around.
More hugs.
I would have guessed raccoon, when you said climbed and tore through the netting, but the injuries sound more like a dog. They often shake their prey, leaving not much of a mark

Back
Top Bottom