Something killed my chickens

i am having the same problem, think it is a raccoon, i had 6 hens a week ago, now am down to 2 girls left, i set a live trap friday , night, nothing, saturday night set a 12"x12"x36 with tuna and dog food, it got in trap, ate everything and backed out trap closed and i caught air, purchased a bigger trap and trying again, caught this first one!

Last edited:
If you secured the coop, then your chicks can go in there immediately. But you still seem worried about the predator returning which tells me the coop is not secure. If it is secure then it can be occupied at any time. If it is not secure, then it can never be occupied. You're right, the predator will be back. It doesn't matter how long you wait, it will come back. The coop must be ready and able to withstand the predator's return.

If you secured the coop, then your chicks can go in there immediately. But you still seem worried about the predator returning which tells me the coop is not secure. If it is secure then it can be occupied at any time. If it is not secure, then it can never be occupied. You're right, the predator will be back. It doesn't matter how long you wait, it will come back. The coop must be ready and able to withstand the predator's return.

Absolutely, especially a coon.. Especially a coon that KNOWS you still have some left :(

I don't like coons very much. I'm hunting one as we speak, owes me 7 mallards. She's a trap smart relocated pain, I have to PADLOCK my coop because she can do knobs, locks, caribiners, and knows how to set off traps without being caught. Padlocks. Gr.

There are many bad reasons to relocate any wild animal.
1 Animal now has to go through the stress of fighting for territory in an unfamiliar place.
2 Animal could have a disease that will spread it elsewhere.
3 Now animal could be a problem for someone else.

Most humane thing to do is to shoot it. If one can't for legal or other reasons, call your DNR to do it.

I live in the hills of Tennessee and know the country very well. I take them way back in a hollow where I know the habitat will suit them. Thanks for your concern for the land owner and the animals both.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom